Geography graduate destinations
A degree in Geographical Sciences provides graduates with skills applicable to a broad range of careers. Many move into a variety of fields where their combination of analytical, teamworking, numerical and communication skills are highly valued.
Data obtained from
- Single honours Geography courses (BSc and MSci), including those with study abroad
- Geography with Quantitative Research Methods (BSc and MSci)
- Graduates from the UK
|Most important activity||Percentage of graduates|
|Due to start work||0%|
Examples of regular recruitment sectors include IT and management consultancy, law, investment banking, accountancy, marketing, publishing and the armed forces. Geographical skills can be particularly relevant in areas such as the Civil Service and local government, tourism, market research, conservation, logistics and teaching.
|Employment sector||Number of graduates|
|Finance and insurance||9|
|Accounting and management consultancy||7|
|Other sectors (16 sectors)||32|
Around 70% of all graduate vacancies ask for no specific degree subject and, over the years, Bristol Geographical Sciences graduates have entered a whole spectrum of careers from diplomacy and community work to sports broadcasting and journalism.
Employers and occupations
Examples of employers
- Lloyds Banking Group
- CSJ Planning
- Civil Service
- Norfolk County Council
Examples of occupations
- Associate Relationship Manager
- Government Communications (Civil Service Fast Stream)
- Town Planner
- Graduate Surveyor
- Flood Risk Support Officer
Graduates from 2016/17 entered an exciting range of further study options, including those in:
- geographical sciences, e.g. Climate Change (MSc), Environmental Policy and Management (MSc), Volcanology (MSc)
- education (Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE))
- and new disciplines, e.g. Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL).
|Qualification type||Number of graduates|
|Postgraduate research degree||3|
|Postgraduate taught degree||13|
|No qualification aim||0|
Explore your career options
You can explore specific sectors and career options on the Prospects website: What can I do with my degree?
If you need more information about our graduate destinations please fill out our information request form.