Private sector housing advice

For the majority of students, their time living in private-rented accommodation is fun and hassle-free. But if you do run into difficulties with any aspect of your accommodation, the information on these pages can help.

Below are some of the most common housing issues we are contacted about. We have a number of resources to help you, so advise you read the information available here to see if your issue is covered:

Finding privately rented accommodation

Living in privately rented accommodation

Other useful housing advice agencies

If you are having problems in your private accommodation that are causing you distress or concern, we also strongly recommend that you contact the University's wellbeing service who can offer support. 

Where to get help

If you have a problem with housing and can't find the answer on these web pages, you can get in touch with our private sector advisers. They can provide advice and information and help explore the options open to you. The service is free, confidential, impartial, non-judgmental, independent and accessible.

Email us at and you will receive a response within 5 working days or less.

I had a bad experience of a flatshare in the second year and immediately went to the accommodation office. They not only found me a place at a university-owned residence to move into, but also located some emergency accommodation for me in the meantime. Their advice has been nothing less than stellar and I have directed many friends to them for help too.

4th year student (BA French and German )
Edit this page