English language student summer accommodation
If you are considering the University of Bristol for a pre-sessional academic English course, or the Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA), we provide self-catered accommodation in our residences whilst you are studying.
- About the accommodation
- How to apply
- Fees and charges
- Future accommodation options
About the accommodation
Our accommodation is suitable for single, unaccompanied students. Couples, or students bringing their family, will need to search for privately rented accommodation. Please contact us for further help and advice on this option.
You'll share the residence with others studying at the Centre for English Language and Foundation Studies (CELFS). You'll usually live in mixed-sex flats or in rooms along mixed-sex corridors. It's likely you'll live with students of the same nationality. All of our residences are non-smoking. Find out more about the residences we offer.
Please note, due to the high number of applications we receive we cannot guarantee to meet room preferences. You can choose a residence but not a room-type.
- Bedrooms contain a single bed (with mattress and bedding), desk, chair, bookshelves, clothing storage and mirror.
- En suite or shared bathrooms: en suite rooms have a small bathroom attached to the bedroom. This contains a washbasin, mirror, shower and toilet and it is not shared with other students. If your room is a standard room you will share a bathroom with other students.
- Kitchens are shared with other students and contain a cooker (oven, hob and grill), fridge/freezer, microwave, kettle, toaster and cupboards for food storage. Pans, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery are all provided.
- Internet: University ResNet provides high speed wired and wireless Internet access for students in residences. It is included free of charge in all study bedrooms within University owned residences and is also available in Woodland Court. Over 90 per cent of students rate ResNet as good or excellent.
How to apply for accommodation
Applications are now closed. The accommodation application process will re-open in spring 2016 for pre-sessional and CELTA courses in 2016.
Current pre-sessional students can apply for accommodation for their postgraduate year of study. Please see the information below on future accommodation options.
Accommodation fees are not included in your course fees. The fees will vary between rooms and residences.
Paying for your accommodation
A link to our online payment page is provided in your accommodation offer email. You will need a credit card to make the payment and confirm your offer. We are automatically updated when payments are received therefore there is no need for you to send us proof of payment. The accommodation will not be reserved until the fees have been paid in full.
|Room type||Pre-sessional 10 weeks||Pre-sessional 6 weeks|
|Small en suite||-||£1071.60 - £1158.00|
|Standard||£1546.28||£925.72 - £1054.28|
|Small standard||-||£900.00 - £985.72|
Accommodation fees include:
- Rent, heating, hot water and internet
- Insurance of personal possessions (except at Woodland Court). Check the level of cover is suitable for your belongings. If you need more cover you can arrange this directly with the insurance company. Details of how to increase your insurance cover will be included in your offer.
- A bedding pack. You must take this with you if you move into postgraduate accommodation.
- Provision and use of kitchen equipment. You can take this with you if you move into postgraduate accommodation.
- Administration costs.
Laundry and telephone charges are not included in the fees.
- Deposit of £200, which is refunded at end of your tenancy unless there is any damage.
- Insurance of £13.20 – not refunded.
- Administration fee of £50 – not refunded.
Offers will be sent to your personal email address from the end of April onwards. Offers will be sent weekly and due to the volume of applications it will take several weeks to make all the offers. If you have not received your offer by 1 June please contact us.
The offer will contain details of the residence and room type offered but not the room number. You should read all the documents included in offer very carefully and follow the instructions provided. The acceptance deadline is seven days from the date of the offer.
To accept your offer you must:
- access and accept your accommodation offer online, and
- pay your accommodation fees online (by credit card or a debit card with a 3 digit security code on the reverse).
We cannot hold a room open for you if you have not made payment or accepted the tenancy contract.
Offers and visa information
If you are waiting for a visa and have been made an offer of a room, you should accept the offer. If you do not accept the offer before the deadline, you will lose the room and we cannot guarantee that another room will be available.
If you reserve a room but cannot come to Bristol because your visa is refused, you will get a full refund as long as you tell us before the cancellation deadline. Please also read the cancellation details in your contract.
How to cancel your accommodation reservation
You can cancel your accommodation reservation within seven days of accepting it or before the cancellation deadline (whichever is later). As long as you cancel your offer within the deadline you will receive a full refund. If you have already moved into the accommodation and want to cancel please contact us.
To cancel an accommodation reservation for 2015 you must email the Accommodation Office. The message must include your name, student number and the name of the residence.
If your visa is refused
If you reserve a room but cannot come to Bristol because your visa is refused you must tell us. If you tell us before the cancellation deadline you will receive a full refund. Please read the cancellation details in your contract.
Arrivals, moving in and what to bring
Arrival and moving in details will be sent to your personal email address around the middle of June.
Please note, it is not possible to move in earlier than the tenancy start date.
You will need to bring:
- bathroom items such as shampoo, soap and deodorant,
- other personal items,
- warm and waterproof clothing (it can be cold and wet in the UK in summer).
Any electrical equipment you bring must be suitable for use in the UK and comply with UK safety standards. The electricity supply in the UK is 220-240v. Your own equipment, such as rice cookers, may not be compliant. You can easily buy rice cookers and other electrical equipment in the UK.
You do not need to bring the following items:
- kitchen utensils,
You will find it easier if you only bring essential items with you. Remember you will be moving into your postgraduate accommodation at the end of the summer and will need to transport all of your own belongings.
Future accommodation options
If you want to stay in University accommodation for your postgraduate year, you must make a separate postgraduate accommodation application. See our how to apply page for more details. We will guarantee to make you an offer of accommodation (subject to conditions).
Your pre-sessional tenancy contract will take you up to the move-in dates at all residences, except Woodland Court where there is one week’s gap between moving out of your summer accommodation and into your postgraduate accommodation. Therefore we don't recommend Woodland Court as a choice for you postgraduate accommodation. If you do choose to apply for Woodland Court, you will need to find somewhere else to stay during this week.
Information for agents
Our guide for agents (PDF, 156kB) provides important information for agents acting on behalf of pre-sessional students.
Dates and deadlines
6 week pre-sessional students
Applications open: 23 March 2015
Tenancy starts: 15 July 2015
Tenancy ends: 13 September 2015
Cancellation deadline: within 7 days of accepting your offer or by 6 July 2015, whichever date is later.
Dates and deadlines
10 week pre-sessional students
Applications open: 23 March 2015
Tenancy starts: 17 June 2015
Tenancy ends: 13 September 2015
Cancellation deadline: within 7 days of accepting your offer or by 12 June 2015, whichever date is later.