Visa and important documents

Find out what documents to bring with you, and whether you need a visa.

Visa guidance

Check whether you need a visa to study in the UK.

Read the latest advice about coronavirus and visas for international students.

Our Student Visa Services team can help you with questions about visas, your immigration status and working in the UK.

Documents to bring to the UK

In your hand luggage

Bring these documents in your hand luggage when you travel to the UK.

Important documents

You may be asked to show these at the border when you arrive:

  • visa decision letter
  • printed email showing your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies number (CAS)
  • bank statements
  • accommodation details.

Travel insurance

If you have bought travel insurance, bring a copy of the documents in your hand luggage.

Other documents to bring

We recommend you bring these with you. They don't need to be in your hand luggage.

Education documents

  • original copies of relevant certificates and examination results.
  • English translations of relevant certificates and examination results.

Health documents

  • details (in English) about any past physical or medical illness requiring medical treatment.
  • a full record of past immunisations.
  • your European Health Card if you have one (EEA students only).

When you get to the UK

Collect your Biometric Residence Permit card (BRP)

If you are on a Student visa, you must collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card when you get to the UK.

Your BRP card is proof of your immigration permission to be in the UK, as a holder of a Student visa.

Find out where to collect your BRP.

Register with the police

If you needed a visa to come to the UK, you might need to register with the police.

Edit this page