Support Planning in Practice
- Funder: NIHR School for Social Care Research
- Lead applicant: Val Williams
- Co-researchers: Sue Porter and Anna Marriott
- Research centre: Norah Fry Research Centre
This project aimed to deliver practical understanding of how to carry out effective support planning with disabled people who use personal budgets. Building on previous research for the Office for Disability Issues three aspects were taken further:
- This project included support planning via voluntary organisations (VCO).
- This research focused on those with cognitive impairments (learning disability/ dementia) or mental health needs.
- We were able to collect some direct recordings of support planning sessions in action, as well as focus groups and individual interviews.
The research perspective was that of disabled people themselves, both within the research team and through an advisory group. This project delivered a) practical and theoretical understanding of peer identity, facilitation of choice and enablement; b) tools to enable support planning development.