Poverty and social exclusion in Taiwan: Renai Shiang pilot study
- Funder: British Academy and National Science Council, Taiwan
- Lead applicant: Professor Dave Gordon
- Co-researcher: Dr He-chuin Liou, Asia University, Taiwan
- Dates: May 2008 - January 2010
- Research centre: Study of Poverty and Social Justice
The main purpose of this project is to build upon the experience gained by UK academics over the past 40 years to help develop a methodology and questionnaire which can be used to measure poverty and social exclusion in Taiwan. Poverty will be measured using a relative deprivation approach which combines indicators of low income with deprivation measures which are culturally relevant and appropriate. The project aims to:
- enhance collaboration between researchers in Britain and in Taiwan by developing a poverty and social exclusion questionnaire for use in Taiwan.
- pilot the questionnaire on 100 households.
- develop a research grant proposal for a national survey of poverty and social exclusion in Taiwan.