Multimedia testimony on rural poverty and social exclusion
- Funder: The Rural Media Company
- Lead applicant: Dr Eldin Fahmy
- Co-researcher: Dr Simon Pemberton
- Research centre: Study of Poverty and Social Justice
By working with local partners, this project documents the experience of poverty in rural communities through the eyes of less well-off people. The research seeks answers to the following questions:
- What are the main issues faced by less well-off people living in rural areas?
- Does rural living affect the causes of poverty and prospects for escaping it?
- In what ways are people’s views on their circumstances influenced by where they live?
- What are the consequences of poverty for people living in rural areas?
Fieldwork will consist mainly of video testimony recorded by participants to document the issues and challenges they face in making ends meet. Follow-up interviews will also be conducted to give participants an opportunity to reflect on the video diary process, and to make suggestions about ways in which policies could be developed to better meet the needs of less well-off people living in rural areas.