About our research and funders
Our research programme incorporates research on:
- looked after children/children in care
- fostering, adoption and kinship care
- children’s wellbeing
- child protection
- family support
- children in need
- social and emotional learning
- education of children in care
- residential care and schooling for children
- teenage intimate partner violence (‘dating violence’)
- teenage pregnancy and parenting
- critical approaches to social work theory and practice, including post-modern perspectives
- relationship-based social work practice.
Our funding sources include:
- government departments
- local authorities
- charitable foundations such as the NSPCC, the Hadley Trust, Nuffield and Joseph Rowntree Foundations
- the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)
- voluntary agencies and trusts.
We adopt a diverse range of quantitative and qualitative methodologies in our studies. We are also committed to the dissemination of research findings to practitioners and policy-makers. One of our aims is to advance the careers of a new generation of researchers through staff development and doctoral research.