Engineering Mathematics and Technology study guide 2023/24
Engineering Mathematics and Technology at Bristol
Engineering Mathematics and Technology is the art of applying maths to complex real-world problems; combining mathematical theory, practical engineering and scientific computing to address today’s technological challenges.
The school offers many classes that are based in a single semester, and can therefore accept unit requests from Study Abroad students who want to join Bristol for just the autumn or spring semester.
The school offers units across all undergraduate levels of study – Year 1 (Level C/4), Year 2 (Level I/5), and Year 3 (Level H/6) – and selected postgraduate units (Level M/7). Level M/7 units are normally taken by students who have studied the subject for at least 3 years beforehand and are at an appropriate level of study to take postgraduate units.
Unit codes in the School of Engineering Mathematics and Technology begin with 'EMAT'. This is followed by a number indicating the year (1, 2, 3). For example:
- EMAT10000 = year 1 unit
- EMAT20000 = year 2 unit
- EMAT30000 = year 3 unit.
For more information about each unit, check the University's unit catalogue for 2023/24. Applicants on all study abroad programmes must review the unit details on the catalogue before listing unit choices on their application form. This includes checking the format of assessment for each unit. The unit catalogue for 2023/24 is expected to be updated by the end of April 2023.
Your unit choices cannot be guaranteed. Some units may not have capacity to accommodate all of the unit requests we receive. Registration on a unit also depends on whether you meet the pre-requisite conditions through prior study at your home university.
Study Abroad (Subject pathway)
If you have been nominated to Bristol on the Study Abroad (Subject pathway), you must take the majority of your credits in this School.
Certain units in Engineering Mathematics and Technology are subject to special requirements. Notably, the Technical Project and Mathematical and Data Modelling units can only be taken with the explicit permission of the Study Abroad Academic Director. If you select a Technical Project unit (EMAT30009 or EMATM5000), you will need to be allocated an appropriate project as well as a Project Supervisor. The project allocation process begins before the start of the semester. Please contact the Study Abroad Academic Advisor as soon as possible if you are interested in enrolling in a project unit. All Bristol Engineering Mathematics students take year-long units where they work in groups on practical modelling and data analysis problems. These Mathematical and Data Modelling (MDM) units (EMAT10008, EMAT22220, EMAT30005, and EMATM0037) depend on the rest of the Engineering Mathematics UG or MSc curriculum and are not suitable for students who are taking a small number of EMAT units. EMATM0050 depends on the rest of the MSc in Data Science curriculum and is not suitable for students who are taking a small number of Data Science units. EMATM0063 depends on the rest of the MSc in Biorobotics curriculum and is not suitable for students who are taking a small number of Data Science units.
The school offers the following project units:
- Data Science Mini-Project - EMATM0050
- Group Project in Biorobotics - EMATM0063
- Technical Project - EMAT30009
- Technical Project - EMATM5000
- Technology, Innovation, Business, and Society (TIBS) - EMATM0049
Please see the 'Requirements' section for further information on the permission needed to take certain project-based units.
Units available on the study abroad programme in 2023/24
The following units from the School of Engineering Mathematics and Technology are open to inbound Study Abroad students.
Year 1 (level C/4)
- Introduction to Computer Programming (TB1) - EMAT10007
- Further Computer Programming (TB2) - EMAT10006
- Discrete Mathematics (TB4) - EMAT10704
- Engineering Mathematics 1 (TB4) - EMAT10100
- Mathematics and Data Modelling 1 (TB4) - EMAT10008
Year 2 (level I/5)
- Engineering Physics II (TB1) - EMAT20010
- Numerical Methods in Matlab (TB1) - EMAT20920
- Applied Linear Algebra (TB2) - EMAT20012
- Discrete Mathematics 2 (TB2) - EMAT20540
- Introduction to Data Science (TB2) - EMAT20011
- Engineering Mathematics 2 (TB4) - EMAT20200
- Mathematics and Data Modelling 2 (TB4) - EMAT22220
Year 3 (level H/6)
- Engineering Mathematics III (TB1) - EMAT30012
- Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos (TB1) - EMAT33100
- Optimisation Theory and Applications (TB1) - EMAT30670
- Applied Statistics (TB2) - EMAT30007
- Control Theory (TB2) - EMAT30014
- Partial Differential Equations (TB2) - EMAT30010
- Scientific Computing (TB2) - EMAT30008
- Continuum Mathematics (TB4) - EMAT31410
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence (TB4) - EMAT31530
- Mathematics and Data Modelling 3 (TB4) - EMAT30005
- Technical Project (TB4) - EMAT30009
Year 4 (level M/7)
- Large-Scale Data Engineering (TB1) - EMATM0051
- Mathematical Modelling in Physiology and Medicine (TB1) - EMATM0007
- Mathematics of Movement (TB1) - EMATM0064
- Robotics Systems (TB1) - EMATM0054
- Software Development: Programming and Algorithms (TB1) - EMATM0048
- Statistical Computing and Empirical Methods (TB1) - EMATM0061
- Technology, Innovation, Business, and Society (TB1) - EMATM0049
- Transport and Mobility Modelling (TB1) - EMATM0021
- Uncertainty Modelling for Intelligent Systems (TB1) - EMATM1120
- Advanced Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos (TB2) - EMATM0001
- Bio-Inspired Artificial Intelligence (TB2) - EMATM0029
- Computational Genomics and Bioinformatics Algorithms (TB2) - EMATM0004
- Data Analytics and Modelling in Health (TB2) - EMATM0046
- Data Science Mini-Project (TB2) - EMATM0050 - this unit is taken with Research Skills (EMATM0036)
- Group Project in Biorobotics (TB2) - EMATM0063
- Intelligent Information Systems (TB2) - EMATM0042
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence (TB2) - EMATM0044
- Mathematical and Data Modelling (TB2) - EMATM0037
- Robotics Systems UG (TB2) - EMATM0053
- Soft Robotics (TB2) - EMATM0057
- Biosystems and Biorobotics (TB4) - EMATM0062
- Research Skills (TB4) - EMATM0036 - this unit is taken with Data Science Mini-Project (EMATM0050)
- Robotics Research Technology and Methods (TB4) - EMATM0058
- Technical Project (TB4) - EMATM5000
Contact the Centre for Study Abroad inbound team if you have any queries about the application process for the study abroad programmes:
Phone: +44 117 39 40207
Students cannot audit units. Study abroad students are fully registered on units for credit purposes and must attend teaching only for classes that they are registered on.