Goldney Hall Guide

Please note the information in these guides is still being updated. Complete guides for 18/19 tenancies will be available from 1 August 2018.

Service or resourceSummary
Reporting absence It is very important that we know when you are away in case there is a fire or other emergency. To report your absence from hall please complete the absence form for Goldney Hall.
Room access University staff and contractors will normally try to give 24 hours notice that access is required to a flat or bedroom, however in the case of an emergency immediate access may be necessary. See the University’s guidance for accessing accommodation (PDF, 120KB). Where a repair has been requested notice that access is required will be deemed to have been given. All University staff and contractors will carry identification and residents should always ask to see it.
Rent and tenancy dates

You can see the accommodation fees, or rent, for your residence by downloading the Undergraduate accommodation fees (PDF, 129KB) which also has details of your tenancy dates. Full information on how to pay your accommodation fees can be found on the Accommodation Office website.

Arrivals and moving in

You should download and print your arrivals leaflet (PDF), which has full instructions on where to go on moving in day. A friendly team, including Senior Residents and Junior Common Room officers, will meet you, give you your keys, and show you how to get to your room.

Please note that you will be told your room number on arrival at your accommodation only; we're unable to give you this information any earlier.

Welcome week activities will be taking place across your residence and the University to welcome you and give you the best introduction to University life. You'll find out more about the events at your residence on arrival, and through our Facebook Page and Junior Common Room.


Your bedroom will be supplied with a bed, mattress, desk, task lighting, chair, curtains/blind, drawers/shelving, wardrobe and waste receptacle. We do not supply bed linen, duvets or pillows. You can order these to be delivered to your residence before your arrival. 

For reasons of safety residents are not permitted to have their own heaters or cooking equipment such as toasters or kettles in their bedrooms. Any such items may be taken into storage by residence staff.

Bike storage

A bike shed is available for residents to use and you can obtain a key to the shed, in exchange for a £10.00 deposit from the SSA. You may also store your bike outside E block if you have a strong lock. It is important that you do not keep bicycles anywhere other than these two areas so that they don't cause an obstruction and contravene fire regulations. Bikes are strictly prohibited from resident's rooms/flats.

Please read your contents insurance with regard to cover for your bike and ensure that it is stored as per the conditions of the cover. If the value of your bike is greater than the cover provided you should consider either extending your insurance policy or finding another suitable policy.  


Residents are expected to maintain their accommodation including communal areas in a clean and habitable condition. In particular they must wash up after themselves and participate in the recycling scheme that will be explained on arrival. Failure to observe adequate standards of cleanliness and hygiene may lead to the suspension of normal cleaning services, removal of goods or material and/or the imposition of charges for additional cleaning in addition to action under the Disciplinary Procedures.

Subject to the above and to staff availability, the cleaning provided in your residence as a minimum is shown below:

  • Halls and stairways - weekly
  • Kitchens - weekly
  • Bathrooms - weekly
  • Bedrooms and en suite shower rooms - en suites cleaned once a term, bedrooms not serviced, student responsibility.

Please note that cleaning of kitchens will not include disposal of rubbish or doing students’ washing up. 


We will usually communicate with you by email so please make sure you check your University email account regularly. We also update the Facebook group regularly so please check that as well. We are not able to take telephone messages for students OR we will only take telephone messages for students in an emergency.


Very occasionally students are unhappy with their accommodation or the services they are receiving. The Residences have a complaints procedure (PDF, 155KB) which details how you can submit a complaint to us.  

If you have taken your complaint through the agreed procedure you may take the case to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education, which provides an independent scheme for the review of student complaints. The OIA will consider cases only when the University’s own internal complaints and appeal procedures have been exhausted. It will not intervene on matters which turn purely on academic assessment.

Unresolved complaints may be directed to the UUK Student Accommodation Code


You will be charged for any cleaning, repairs or replacements needed to University property that go beyond normal wear and tear and which arise out of damage or negligence by yourself or your guests. This includes damage caused by affixing anything to the walls. Where damage occurs in a communal area such as a kitchen it may be charged to all the occupants of a flat, corridor or block. You have the right to appeal against any charge to your Residential Facilities Manager.

An example of charges is given below, please note that these may vary according to labour or costs involved (all charges are subject to depreciation). Charges are subject to an administrative fee of 15% up to a maximum of £50.

  • Clean one wall - £25
  • Repaint one wall - £100
  • Replace one mattress - £100
  • Clean one carpet - £50
  • Replace one carpet - £200
  • Clean one fridge, freezer, oven or hob - £30
  • Clean one kitchen, bedroom or bathroom - £55
Electrical equipment and portable appliance testing

All University owned electrical equipment is PAT tested when it is new and all University owned equipment is subject to regular testing. The University will not test any personal electrical equipment you may bring and we do not accept any liability for its safety. We do ask that you adhere to the following:

  • Any electrical appliances you bring must be British Standard approved and correctly wired.
  • Electrical appliances must not be used in bathrooms and showers unless designed for that purpose.
  • Mains extension leads can be used provided that the load on the extension is no more than 13 amps and use is limited to one lead per socket. Cables should be positioned carefully and not present a trip hazard or other risk.
  • All equipment must be suitable for use in the UK. The electricity supply in the UK is 220 – 240v.
  • You must not modify or interfere with the University’s electrical equipment. Any faults, possible hazards or safety concerns should be notified to a member of staff as soon as possible
  • Heaters and cooking equipment are not permitted in bedrooms and may be removed into storage.

The risk assessments for residential accommodation, in particular those which relate to fire, cover all electrical equipment which we anticipate a residential student will use. The University reserves the right to inspect residents’ electrical equipment and if in their view such equipment poses a risk then staff reserve the right to have the equipment PAT tested, take the equipment into safe keeping or request that you remove the equipment from the premises.


The University is committed to reducing our carbon impact and encourages residents to reduce energy and water use and participate in the various carbon reduction initiatives. All residents are asked to use energy responsibly. In particular to ensure that:

  • All gas or electrical items are turned off when rooms are empty unless required for security.
  • All laptops or PCs are set to hibernate or standby. To set your computer go to the start menu, select control panel, select power options (often found in Performance and Maintenance) then select standby or hibernate.

Students must familiarise themselves with the fire and safety regulations and procedures.

Fire alarm testing and drill: Fire alarms will be tested regularly and details are on posters in your residence. You do not need to evacuate during a fire alarm test. If you hear a fire alarm at any other time or if the fire alarm sounds continuously for more than 10 seconds you must evacuate the building immediately.

Emergency Assembly Point: The assembly point for all students on the lawns in front of Goldney House by the avenue of trees. No one should leave the assembly area until a roll call has been made and the building checked for safety. You must not return to evacuated buildings until told to do so by a member of staff. 

Fire Evacuation procedure:

  1. Residents must evacuate promptly if the alarm activates
  2. Shut doors behind you as you leave
  3. Shout 'FIRE' and knock on any bedroom doors on your escape route out of the building
  4. Go to the Assembly point and wait for Security
  5. Advise Security what you know, for example, if it's a real fire/where/what, is anyone still in building?
  6. Do not not re-enter the building until told to do so by an official university employee or the fire brigade.

Please read the Action in Case of Fire notice in your flat or on your corridor and make sure you have familiarised yourself with fire exit routes from your room and from communal parts of the residence.

The Residence is equipped with fire and smoke alarms, and with fire fighting equipment. This equipment must not be tampered with. All study bedrooms are equipped with smoke detectors and some are linked to the automatic fire alarm. These are very sensitive and are easily set off. False alarms cause disruption and annoyance to all other residents. False alarms also put lives at risk. If the fire and rescue service is dealing with a false alarm, they can’t go to help those in need at a real emergency, such as a fire or road traffic collision. Please do all you can to limit false alarms. The most common cause of false fire alarms is cooking setting off corridor alarms because the kitchen door has been propped open. The highest fire risks arise from cooking being left unattended or students using dirty pans especially grill pans.

Fire exit doors/routes must be kept free from obstruction at all times. Do not obstruct corridors and stairs. These must be clear so that in the event of a fire rapid exit from buildings is possible. This is one reason why bikes are not to be brought into buildings. Anything found to be obstructing a fire exit may be removed into storage without notice. The covering of fire safety signs is also prohibited.

First aid

First Aid Boxes are located in the Accommodation Manager’s Office (front office, Linbury Court), Bar, Orangery and The Residence Lodge

Gardens and grounds

The gardens and grounds are maintained by the University’s Grounds Services. In the case of ice or snow access will be cleared by the residence porters or grounds services as appropriate. Please note that Residences’ gardens or grounds may be shared with other University Departments and may be used for events such as weddings or conferences.


We regret that we cannot have visitors aged under 16 staying in any of our residences. All overnight guests over the age of 16 must be registered by completing the Goldney Hall guest form at least 48 hours in advance of their stay. Mattresses are available to hire from the Student Support Adviser for £5 (or the duty Senior Resident).

Please make sure the people sharing your accommodation are happy for you to have a guest staying. Guests should generally stay no more than 3 nights except in exceptional circumstances which you should discuss with your Student Support Adviser.


The University does not accept responsibility for residents’ personal possessions. Your first payment includes a fee for block contents insurance, it is essential that you check the cover provided is adequate to your needs.

Kitchens and pantries

Each kitchen /pantry is supplied with a minimum requirement of a microwave, kettle and toaster and refrigerator for food storage, plus a freezer in self-catered residences, depending on the number of users for each area. All equipment supplied by the University of Bristol will be maintained in good order and repair.

Remember that any electrical equipment you bring into your kitchen must be safe. Electrical appliances may be inspected by staff and removed to storage at their absolute discretion if in their view they may present a risk.


There are 3 washing machines and 3 tumble dryers available on site (at the base of K block next to the recycling bins). On arrival at Hall you will be given a card to operate the machines. You will need this card to create an online account to add credit. Comprehensive instructions are above the machines. A wash cycle costs £2.20 and a drying cycle costs £1.

Any issues with the equipment please contact the suppliers, Wash Station, direct on their Freephone helpline. 0800 141 2331. This number is also on each of the machines.

Lost cards can be replaced at a cost of £10. Please visit the Accommodation Manager for a new card.


Residents are responsible for ensuring that the grounds are kept free of litter.

Lost keys and lock outs

If you lose your key please contact the Student Support Advisor, in the rear room of the Hall Office by the Residents’ entrance, who will be able to issue you with a replacement key for which there is a charge of £30.00. Outside of office hours, the Accommodation Manager or the Duty Senior Resident can also issue you with a replacement key.

Lost property

Any lost property is handed in to the Student Support Advisor and will be held until the end of the tenancy. Thereafter and unclaimed lost property will be given to charity.


The postal address for all students is: Goldney Hall, Lower Clifton Hill, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 1BX.

All in-coming letters should show your given name and surname clearly on the address – we will not always recognise nicknames. Items with unrecognised addressee names will be returned to sender.

Standard post is sorted into alphabetical pigeon holes by surname (if double barreled please check both pigeon holes) and these are situated by the offices inside the car-park entrance to the accommodation.

Private & Confidential mail and parcels are collected from the reception at Clifton Hill House (right next door to Goldney Hall) PLEASE USE THE GOLDNEY HALL ADDRESS THOUGH. The reception is open from 08:00 - 19:00 Monday to Friday and Saturdays 09:00 - 14:00. To find out if you have a parcel or private letter you will need to check the list that is put up on the notice board by the offices.

We cannot forward mail to students, it is your responsibility to ensure that your address is updated with e.g. your bank. All mail received for students who are no longer resident will be shredded.


All University of Bristol residences are managed in compliance with Universities UK Code of Practice, a copy is available in the Hall office.

Medical care

You are advised to register with the University Students’ Health Service, registration events will take place throughout Arrivals’ Week.

Students with disabilities or special needs

If you have a disability or if you are ill or sustain an injury that could prevent you from leaving your accommodation in an emergency please ensure that you make your Student Support Adviser for your residence aware so that suitable measures can be put in place to enable you to live comfortably and safely in your residence.

PEEPs (Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan) are intended to be used to plan in advance for those who may need assistance or special arrangements during an emergency evacuation of the building.  The PEEP will be completed by the Accommodation Manager and the individual and be signed-off by the Fire Safety Adviser.


The University offers a limited number of residential parking permits to students living in University-allocated accommodation. Before bringing your vehicle to University-allocated accommodation, please ensure that you have applied for and obtained a parking permit.

Guests wishing to park onsite (even for a short while) needs to pay for visitor parking


All repairs must be reported using the Goldney Hall online repair reporting form. Reporting a problem any other way may result in a delay in getting the repair seen to. 

Décor and furnishings will be maintained in good order in accordance with the relevant regulations, with regular checks taken on defects. Repairs are managed and carried out by the University’s Building Services who also ensure that the University complies with the Statutory Requirements of Legislation affecting the safe and efficient use of the residences. Building Services aims to respond to repair requests to a timetable:

  • Emergency (e.g. loss of water supply, major flood) - response within one hour, rectification as soon as possible but within 24 hours
  • Critical (e.g. loss of heating, cooking facilities) - response and repair commenced within 24 hours
  • Urgent (e.g. minor leak, blocked drain) - response and repair commenced with 5 working days
  • Routine (e.g. repair to non-essential furniture or kitchen equipment) - a specific date will be agreed usually within 5 weeks.
Rubbish and recycling

Recycling facilities are located at the base of K block, next to the laundry. We provide recycling and composting facilities for all students at their halls of residence and also at every University building. You can recycle the following items:

  • Papers
  • Cardboard
  • Glass
  • Tins and cans
  • Plastics
  • Food waste
  • Clothes, shoes, bric-a-brac etc

For more information, see our green university pages. 


Emergency number (24 hour): 0117 331 1223 (internal 112233)

Non-emergency number: 0117 928 7848 (internal 87848)

Security is managed by the University’s Security Services in accordance with a Service Level Agreement. There are University Security patrols on duty throughout the night. 

Social spaces

Bar - situated at the far end of Goldney House; there are 2 floors, both equipped with Wi-Fi and available for study or socialising during the day (where you can play pool, table football etc. or use the new electronic keyboard/drum kit for music practise) and open in the evenings for social occasions. Events, such as open mic, theme nights and quizzes, are regularly held here during the year. Please note that in legal terms this is a private club Bar for the use of Goldney residents. A maximum of two guests may accompany a Goldney resident, but the guests must be signed in, and the behaviour of the guests is the responsibility of that Goldney resident during their time in Hall. All alcohol purchased in the Bar must be consumed only in the Bar area and not taken outside (this rule is strictly enforced). Alcohol purchased elsewhere cannot be brought into the Bar or into Goldney House. Glasses and bottles must not be brought up from the flats or left immediately outside Goldney House. Under 18s must not purchase or consume alcohol in Goldney Bar. Smoking is strictly confined to the Bar courtyard area and is therefore not permitted in the doorway area immediately outside Goldney House. You will be informed when there is to be an event in the bar and also of its opening times/days (please read your emails and check out the Facebook page).

Common Room - situated in Goldney House. It has beautiful views of the garden and is equipped with Wi-Fi so can be used for study. It can also be used for small group gatherings or watching TV.

Library and music practice room - situated in Goldney House and houses a collection of books which residents are encouraged to make use; they are for reference only and should not be removed. As with much else in Goldney, the value of this facility depends on mutual trust: please ensure you use it responsibly. Situated in this room is a grand piano, which may be used by residents for piano practice. This room can also be used for playing other acoustic string and wind instruments. As a large number of people are likely to wish to use the piano, no individual session should normally last longer than 30 minutes, and no music should be played after 10.30pm. During the summer term this room will often be used for quiet study. If you wish to play the piano in this room during the summer term please be considerate of those that are studying in here. The general rule should be that studying in the summer takes precedence over piano practice. Throughout the year, outside of opening hours, the Bar areas can also be used for music practice, but amplified instruments, such as an electric guitar, may not be played anywhere within the Hall. Music practice rooms are available for you to book in the Students’ Union, which is only a 5 minute walk away.

Reading and computer room - situated above the Hall Office, the staircase can be reached beyond the post pigeon-holes. It is a lovely bright first floor room for personal study, which is set up with Wi-Fi and plenty of space in which to use your laptops to work, and it is especially popular during the exam period. There are also a number of PCs in the room and these are linked to a printer for when you need to print – please note you will need to provide your own paper and have loaded credit on your account; for information on this please see: This room also has a small kitchenette which you are welcome to use for drinks and snacks when you are studying; you are responsible for clearing up after yourselves in there.

Orangery - often used for JCR organised events, such as student plays, debates, recitals and revues, as well as the Formal meals arranged for the Goldney Residents. The Orangery is also used by external clients for wedding receptions and other events. These commercial activities are essential for the finances of keeping the Hall and its grounds, which you will appreciate are considerable. These activities are vital to ensure Goldney Hall remains available for both your and future generations of Bristol students. If an external function is on in the Orangery please respect the privacy of our guests and avoid that area.

Tennis courts - there are two tennis hard courts for residents of Goldney Hall and Manor Hall to use. There is no booking system for these courts, which run on a first-come-first-served basis but games should be kept to a one hour time limit. Please remember to take away all of your litter from the tennis courts. It is not permitted to organise tournament that involve groups of people from outside of the residents of Goldney and Manor Hall. the tennis courts can also be used for playing basketball or netball. As these courts cut across both of the tennis courts you must be respectful of keeping playing time down to a minimum if others are waiting to play tennis. Games should not exceed an hour. If you cause damage to these courts you will be charged for the cost of the repair. If you find that the courts are being used by non-residents please contact a member of Hall staff. In the summer term, priority is given to tennis over netball and basketball.

Gardens - available for our residents to enjoy but must be respected as listed grounds and so no rugby/football can be played in them. There are times that the Orangery and grounds surrounding them are used by the University for events and our residents will be asked to avoid that area on those occasions.

Squash courts  - Goldney residents have the use of a squash court in Clifton Hill House, which is the Hall of Residence next door to Goldney Hall. To obtain the key to the squash court please contact the SSA or the Accommodation Manager in the Hall offices; a £10.00 returnable key deposit is required and the court can be used for a period of up to 2 hours.

Television licenses

If you watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV – on any device – you need to be covered by a TV Licence. That includes a TV, laptop, tablet, mobile phone, games console, digital box, DVD/VHS recorder or anything else. Our residence licence doesn’t cover a student in their room, and your parents’ licence also won’t cover you.

You also need to be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This applies to any device and provider you use. For more information and to buy a license, visit the TV Licensing website.


Students wishing to transfer between residences should complete and return the transfer form which they will find on the accommodation office transfers page. No transfers will take place during the first two weeks of term. The accommodation office will contact students if a suitable room becomes available, priority for transfers will be given to anyone who needs to transfer because of a health problem or a disability. Students are expected to leave their rooms clean and ready for the new tenant.  A re-letting fee of up to £100 may be charged.

Students wishing to transfer rooms within their own residence should contact their student support adviser. No transfers will take place during the first two weeks of term. The Student Support Adviser will contact the student if a suitable room becomes available. Priority for transfers will be given to anyone who needs to move because of a health problem or a disability. A re-letting fee of up to £20 may be charged to cover the costs of administration, room cleaning etc.

Travel and transport

Students should not bring a car to Bristol unless it is essential, for example because of a disability. Bristol is a highly congested city and there are many restrictions on parking in place. The main University campus is contained within the Kingsdown Residents’ Parking Scheme area (KRPS) and the majority of on-street parking in and around the campus is subject to residential permits, meters and time limits. Sustainable travel is embedded within University culture and the University actively encourages the use of alternative methods of travel. Sustainable travel benefits your environment, your health and well-being as well as your finances. Information about your transport options can be found on our student travelwebpages.

You can apply for a residence parking permit if having a car is essential.

All students in our undergraduate residences receive a bus pass for the U1 Bristol UniBus service.

Advice and support

If you are experiencing any difficulties with any aspect of your living situation or life at University, you are encouraged to contact your residence pastoral team, which is made up of your Student Support Adviser, Warden, Deputy Warden and Senior Resident team. You can get details of who is who and how to get in touch on our contacts page.

Other support is available from the Accommodation Office for help with all housing related problems, the Student Fees and Funding Office for help with all money problems, and Student Services, which provides access to a wide range of help and support. The Bristol Students’ Union also provides support and advice to all students on a range of issues.

Active residences

Active residences is a programme of free healthy physical activity opportunities for all students living in University-allocated accommodation, with hubs in Stoke Bishop, City Centre and Clifton. Visit the Active residences pages for full details and timetables

Find us on Facebook

Meet your fellow residents over on our official Facebook Page.

In case of emergency

Call 999
Call University Security on 0117 3311223
Notify a member of hall staff (during the day) or the Senior Resident on Duty (after office hours).

Edit this page