Churchill Hall Guide

Please note the information in these guides is for current residents. Updated guides for 18/19 tenancies will be available from 1 August 2018.

Service or resourceSummary
Reporting absence It is very important that we know when you are away in case there is a fire or other emergency. To report your absence from hall please complete the absence form for Churchill Hall.
Room access University staff and contractors will normally try to give 24 hours notice that access is required to a flat or bedroom, however in the case of an emergency immediate access may be necessary. See the University’s guidance for accessing accommodation (PDF, 120KB). Where a repair has been requested notice that access is required will be deemed to have been given. All University staff and contractors will carry identification and residents should always ask to see it.
Rent and tenancy dates

You can see the accommodation fees, or rent, for your residence by downloading the Undergraduate accommodation fees (PDF, 129KB) which also has details of your tenancy dates. Full information on how to pay your accommodation fees can be found on the Accommodation Office website.

Arrivals and moving in

You should download and print your arrivals leaflet (PDF), which has full instructions on where to go on moving in day. A friendly team, including Senior Residents and Junior Common Room officers, will meet you, give you your keys, and show you how to get to your room.

Please note that you will be told your room number on arrival at your accommodation only; we're unable to give you this information any earlier.

Welcome week activities will be taking place across your residence and the University to welcome you and give you the best introduction to University life. You'll find out more about the events at your residence on arrival, and through our Facebook Page and Junior Common Room.


Your bedroom will be supplied with a bed, mattress, desk, task lighting, chair, curtains/blind, drawers/shelving, wardrobe and waste receptacle. We do not supply bed linen, duvets or pillows. You can order these to be delivered to your residence before your arrival. 

For reasons of safety residents are not permitted to have their own heaters or cooking equipment such as toasters or kettles in their bedrooms. Any such items may be taken into storage by residence staff.

Bike storage

Churchill provides a large bike shed to the left of the main entrance drive way which can be accessed by anyone with a UCard using the card reader.

A second smaller open shelter is provided to right of the main entrance for non-university members visiting the hall.

You must not store your bike in any other area but the two purpose built bike stores.

Please remember that no storage facility is 100% secure and that students have a responsibility to use these facilities with vigilance. As with block doors, please do not allow people to tailgate into the bike shed.

Please read your contents insurance with regard to cover for your bike and ensure that it is stored as per the conditions of the cover. If the value of your bike is greater than the cover provided you should consider either extending your insurance policy or finding another suitable policy.  


Residents are expected to maintain their accommodation including communal areas in a clean and habitable condition. In particular they must wash up after themselves and participate in the recycling scheme that will be explained on arrival. Failure to observe adequate standards of cleanliness and hygiene may lead to the suspension of normal cleaning services, removal of goods or material and/or the imposition of charges for additional cleaning in addition to action under the Disciplinary Procedures.

Subject to the above and to staff availability, the cleaning provided in your residence as a minimum is shown below:

  • Halls and stairways - weekly
  • Kitchens/pantries - daily
  • Bathrooms/showers/toilets - daily
  • Bedrooms and en suite shower rooms - not serviced, student responsibility 

Please note that cleaning of kitchens will not include disposal of rubbish or doing students’ washing up. 


We will communicate with you via the following methods:

Emails - Time sensitive emails will be sent out as needed to your University of Bristol email address. 

Facebook - Urgent notices and helpful information about events, clubs and organisations will be communicated to you via the hall's private Facebook page. We do not require you to be a user of Facebook and so any important messages will also be communicated via ad-hoc email or the weekly email bulletin.

Weekly eBulletin: Every Friday afternoon you will be emailed a weekly digest of communications relevant to the hall and the wider university. Please ensure you take time to read this bulletin as it will advise you of temporary changes to services on site as well as events you may be interested in attending.

Blackboard: All residents of Churchill are added to the Churchill Organisation accessed through Blackboard. This is a repository of information including links to forms you should be filling out for a range of things as well as details on formal dinner dates and menus, JCR Committee members and meeting minutes and a range of other information students have found useful. 

Noticeboards: The hall has several notice boards by the Hall Office and on the Junior Common Room corridor. Please take time to refer to these regularly. Please submit any notices you would like displayed to the Hall Office. You are not permitted to display notices in any other area of the hall.


Very occasionally students are unhappy with their accommodation or the services they are receiving. The Residences have a complaints procedure (PDF, 155KB) which details how you can submit a complaint to us.  

If you have taken your complaint through the agreed procedure you may take the case to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education, which provides an independent scheme for the review of student complaints. The OIA will consider cases only when the University’s own internal complaints and appeal procedures have been exhausted. It will not intervene on matters which turn purely on academic assessment.

Unresolved complaints may be directed to the UUK Student Accommodation Code


You will be charged for any cleaning, repairs or replacements needed to University property that go beyond normal wear and tear and which arise out of damage or negligence by yourself or your guests. This includes damage caused by affixing anything to the walls. Where damage occurs in a communal area such as a kitchen it may be charged to all the occupants of a flat, corridor or block. You have the right to appeal against any charge to your Residential Facilities Manager.

An example of charges is given below, please note that these may vary according to labour or costs involved (all charges are subject to depreciation). Charges are subject to an administrative fee of 15% up to a maximum of £50.

  • Clean one wall - £25
  • Repaint one wall - £100
  • Replace one mattress - £100
  • Clean one carpet - £50
  • Replace one carpet - £200
  • Clean one fridge, freezer, oven or hob - £30
  • Clean one kitchen, bedroom or bathroom - £55
Electrical equipment and portable appliance testing

All University owned electrical equipment is PAT tested when it is new and all University owned equipment is subject to regular testing. The University will not test any personal electrical equipment you may bring and we do not accept any liability for its safety. We do ask that you adhere to the following:

  • Any electrical appliances you bring must be British Standard approved and correctly wired.
  • Electrical appliances must not be used in bathrooms and showers unless designed for that purpose.
  • Mains extension leads can be used provided that the load on the extension is no more than 13 amps and use is limited to one lead per socket. Cables should be positioned carefully and not present a trip hazard or other risk.
  • All equipment must be suitable for use in the UK. The electricity supply in the UK is 220 – 240v.
  • You must not modify or interfere with the University’s electrical equipment. Any faults, possible hazards or safety concerns should be notified to a member of staff as soon as possible
  • Heaters and cooking equipment are not permitted in bedrooms and may be removed into storage.

The risk assessments for residential accommodation, in particular those which relate to fire, cover all electrical equipment which we anticipate a residential student will use. The University reserves the right to inspect residents’ electrical equipment and if in their view such equipment poses a risk then staff reserve the right to have the equipment PAT tested, take the equipment into safe keeping or request that you remove the equipment from the premises.


The University is committed to reducing our carbon impact and encourages residents to reduce energy and water use and participate in the various carbon reduction initiatives. All residents are asked to use energy responsibly. In particular to ensure that:

  • All gas or electrical items are turned off when rooms are empty unless required for security.
  • All laptops or PCs are set to hibernate or standby. To set your computer go to the start menu, select control panel, select power options (often found in Performance and Maintenance) then select standby or hibernate.

Students must familiarise themselves with the fire and safety regulations and procedures.

Fire alarm testing and drill: Fire alarms will be tested regularly and details will be posted in your residence. You do not need to evacuate during a fire alarm test. If you hear a fire alarm at any other time or if the fire alarm sounds continuously for more than 10 seconds you must evacuate the building immediately.

Emergency Assembly Point: The assembly point is either the main car park or the far end of the Quad garden. There are signs in both locations identifying them. No one should leave the assembly area until a roll call has been made and the building checked for safety.

Fire Evacuation procedure:

  1. Residents must evacuate promptly if the alarm activates
  2. Shut doors behind you as you leave
  3. Shout 'FIRE and knock on any bedroom doors on your escape route out of the building
  4. Go to the Assembly point and wait for Security
  5. Advise Security what you know, for example, if it's a real fire/where/what, is anyone still in building?
  6. Do not not re-enter the building until told to do so by an official university employee or the fire brigade.

Please read the Action in Case of Fire notice in your flat or on your corridor and make sure you have familiarised yourself with fire exit routes from your room and from communal parts of the residence.

The Residence is equipped with fire and smoke alarms, and with fire fighting equipment. This equipment must not be tampered with. All study bedrooms are equipped with smoke detectors and some are linked to the automatic fire alarm. These are very sensitive and are easily set off. False alarms cause disruption and annoyance to all other residents. False alarms also put lives at risk. If the fire and rescue service is dealing with a false alarm, they can’t go to help those in need at a real emergency, such as a fire or road traffic collision. Please do all you can to limit false alarms. The most common cause of false fire alarms is cooking setting off corridor alarms because the kitchen door has been propped open. The highest fire risks arise from cooking being left unattended or students using dirty pans especially grill pans.

Fire exit doors/routes must be kept free from obstruction at all times. Do not obstruct corridors and stairs. These must be clear so that in the event of a fire rapid exit from buildings is possible. This is one reason why bikes are not to be brought into buildings. Anything found to be obstructing a fire exit may be removed into storage without notice. The covering of fire safety signs is also prohibited.

First aid

First Aid Boxes are located in the Churchill Hall Office, Porters' Lodge, Catering Office and each Senior Resident flat.

Gardens and grounds

The gardens and grounds are maintained by the University’s Grounds Services. In the case of ice or snow access will be cleared by the residence porters or grounds services as appropriate. Please note that Residences’ gardens or grounds may be shared with other University Departments and may be used for events such as weddings or conferences.


We regret that we cannot have visitors aged under 16 staying in any of our residences. All overnight guests over the age of 16 must be registered by completing the Churchill Hall guest form at least 48 hours in advance of their stay.

Please make sure the people sharing your accommodation are happy for you to have a guest staying. Guests should generally stay no more than 3 nights except in exceptional circumstances which you should discuss with your Student Support Adviser.

Guests may be invited for meals when space permits, but must be booked and paid for 24 hours in advance (prices are displayed on the Servery). Residents are responsible for guests at all times and under 18s must be accompanied at all times. Guests under 18 cannot enter the bar.


The University does not accept responsibility for residents’ personal possessions. Your first payment includes a fee for block contents insurance, it is essential that you check the cover provided is adequate to your needs.

Kitchens and pantries

Each kitchen /pantry is supplied with a minimum requirement of a microwave, kettle and toaster and refrigerator for food storage, plus a freezer in self-catered residences, depending on the number of users for each area. All equipment supplied by the University of Bristol will be maintained in good order and repair.

Remember that any electrical equipment you bring into your kitchen must be safe. Electrical appliances may be inspected by staff and removed to storage at their absolute discretion if in their view they may present a risk.


The laundrette can be accessed using the metal staircase at the back of the main building near to the Hexagon. On arrival at Hall you will be given a card to operate the machines. You will need this card to create an online account to add credit. Comprehensive instructions are above the machines. A wash cycle costs £2.20 and a drying cycle costs £1.

If you experience any problems with the washing machines then please contact the suppliers, Wash Station, direct on their Freephone helpline: 0800 141 2331. This number is also on the machines.

Lost cards can be replaced at a cost of £10. Please visit the Accommodation Manager for a new card.


Residents are responsible for ensuring that the grounds are kept free of litter.

Lost keys and lock outs

Lost keys must be reported as soon as possible to the Accommodation Manager who will issue new keys at a cost of £20 each. An invoice for any replacement keys will be raised on your student account, you will not be expected to pay cash. If your lost key is subsequently found by yourself or handed in, a credit note will be applied to your account.

Outside of office hours it is not possible to receive replacement keys. If you find yourself locked out of your room please call the Duty Senior Resident during duty hours, or Security during the night time period and you will be given access to your room once an ID check has been performed. It is not possible to give someone other than yourself access to your room so please ensure you agree with any guests methods of access before they arrive.

Lost property

All lost property handed in to the hall is passed to the Student Support Adviser for safe keeping. Where an owner is clear we will attempt to make contact by email or phone to advise them of the appropriate method of retrieval.

If ever you have lost something please let the Student Support Adviser know the details of this item which will be kept on a list for the duration of the tenancy to aid in returning lost items.

Where an items owner is unclear, that item will only be released following accurate description of the item and you will be required to provide identification.


The postal address for all students is: Churchill Hall, Stoke Park Road, Stoke Bishop, Bristol, BS9 1JG. You should not include your room number.

All in-coming letters should show your given name and surname clearly on the address – we will not always recognise nicknames. Items with unrecognised addressee names will be returned to sender.

All Royal Mail post and courier deliveries come to the Porter's Office where they are sorted and if appropriate recorded. Parcels can only be collected during portering hours but unrecorded letter post is available throughout the day.

If you have a parcel or recorded letter you will receive a yellow notification card in your post pigeon hole and should bring this card along with your UCard or other recognised picture ID such as a driving licence or passport to retrieve your items. In some cases a signature may be required. We cannot release parcels or recorded letters to anyone but the recipient named on the item.

Whilst students are welcome to arrange delivery of groceries to hall, it is the responsibility of the student to be available to receive them, the hall is not able to do this on a student's behalf. The hall takes no responsibility for the spoilage of any perishable items such as birthday cakes or flowers delivered to hall without prior arrangement.

The hall will accept mail for any registered tenant for the duration of their tenancy only. Unfortunately we cannot forward mail to students, it is your responsibility to ensure that your address is updated with e.g. your bank. All mail received for students who are no longer resident will be returned to sender where one is clearly stated and otherwise shredded and parcels will be refused.


All University of Bristol residences are managed in compliance with Universities UK Code of Practice, a copy is available in the Hall office.

Meals and catering

Term time weekday meal times:
Breakfast: 07:30 – 09:00
Evening meal: 18:00 – 19:30 (Late meals can be booked in advance for collection up to 20:00hrs, weekdays only)

Term time weekend meal times:
Breakfast: 09:30 - 12:00 (cooked), 08:30 - 12:00 (continental)
Lunch: 12:00 - 13:30

A streamlined catering service is provided during the Christmas and Easter vacations, served from either Clifton Hill House or Churchill Hall.

Staff will ask to see your meal card before serving you.

Meals are provided for residents only. If you wish to bring a guest please inform a member of staff at the Servery. Any student who lends his or her meal card or misuses it in any other way will be charged for the meals taken and may face disciplinary action.

Meals are intended to be eaten in the dining hall, students should not remove food or crockery from the dining hall. Your dress in the Dining Hall should be such that it gives offence neither to staff nor fellow diners. Pyjamas, dressing gowns, sportswear, swimwear and bare feet are unacceptable. There are occasional formal meals when some formality of dress is expected. Alcohol should not be taken into the Dining Hall except during formal meals. Packed meals are available for residents unable to attend meals but 24 hours notice must be given to the Catering Manager.

Dietary requirements: please ensure you have told us about any food allergies via e induction

Medical care

You are advised to register with the University Students’ Health Service, registration events will take place throughout Arrivals’ Week.

Students with disabilities or special needs

If you have a disability or if you are ill or sustain an injury that could prevent you from leaving your accommodation in an emergency please ensure that you make your Student Support Adviser aware so that suitable measures can be put in place to enable you to live comfortably and safely in your residence.

PEEPs (Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan) are intended to be used to plan in advance for those who may need assistance or special arrangements during an emergency evacuation of the building.  The PEEP will be completed by the Accommodation Manager and the individual and be signed-off by the Fire Safety Adviser.


The University offers a limited number of residential parking permits to students living in University-allocated accommodation. Before bringing your vehicle to University-allocated accommodation, please ensure that you have applied for and obtained a parking permit.

Anybody wishing to park onsite (even for a short while) needs to pay for visitor parking


All repairs must be reported using the Churchill Hall online repair reporting form. Reporting a problem any other way may result in a delay in getting the repair seen to. 

Décor and furnishings will be maintained in good order in accordance with the relevant regulations, with regular checks taken on defects. Details of how to report a repair or problem with the building are given in your Residence Guide.

Repairs are managed and carried out by the University’s Building Services who also ensure that the University complies with the Statutory Requirements of Legislation affecting the safe and efficient use of the residences. Building Services aims to respond to repair requests to a timetable:

  • Emergency (e.g. loss of water supply, major flood) - response within one hour, rectification as soon as possible but within 24 hours
  • Critical (e.g. loss of heating, cooking facilities) - response and repair commenced within 24 hours
  • Urgent (e.g. minor leak, blocked drain) - response and repair commenced with 5 working days
  • Routine (e.g. repair to non-essential furniture or kitchen equipment) - a specific date will be agreed usually within 5 weeks.
Rubbish and recycling

We provide recycling and composting facilities for all students at their halls of residence and also at every University building. You can recycle the following items:

  • Papers
  • Cardboard
  • Glass
  • Tins and cans
  • Plastics
  • Food waste
  • Clothes, shoes, bric-a-brac etc

For more information, see our green university pages. 


Emergency number (24 hour): 0117 331 1223 (internal 112233)

Non-emergency number: 0117 928 7848 (internal 87848)

Security is managed by the University’s Security Services in accordance with a Service Level Agreement. There are University Security patrols on duty throughout the night. 

Social spaces

Bar (Sun - Thu 8pm - 10:30pm | Fri - Sat 8pm - 11pm)

Computer Room (24hrs)

Hexagon (Mon - Sun 9am - 11pm)
Space includes: Sofas and TV with pool table and foosball table.

Junior Common Room (Mon - Sun 9am - 11pm)
Space includes: Seating, projector and screen.

Library (Mon - Sun 9am - 11pm)

Music Room (Mon - Fri 9am - 7pm)
Space includes: Piano, drum kit and seating to play other instruments. Suitable to use individually or as a group.
The music practice room is available, free to use for up to one hour at a time. Ask for a key from either the Porter’s Lodge or the Hall Office. The room is offered on a first come first served basis for leisure purposes and is not bookable. Students studying Music are expected to use their departmental resources should they need specifically scheduled practice times.

Room Bookings

The Junior Common Room is bookable by current students by request through the Hall Office. Please allow sufficient time to process this booking.

The Hexagon can be booked for free for a period from 6pm - 11pm for the purposes of private parties. No more than 40 people are permitted at such bookings. Bookings can be made using the eForm on Blackboard.

The Computer Room can be booked for free for a period of 2 hours for the purposes of study groups. We can provide a range of equipment to support these activities such as a projector for presentation practice or a flipchart/white board with accompanying pens. Bookings can be made using the eForm on Blackboard.

Television licenses

If you watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV – on any device – you need to be covered by a TV Licence. That includes a TV, laptop, tablet, mobile phone, games console, digital box, DVD/VHS recorder or anything else. Our residence licence doesn’t cover a student in their room, and your parents’ licence also won’t cover you.

From 1 September 2016 you need to be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This applies to any device and provider you use. For more information and to buy a license, visit the TV Licensing website.


Students wishing to transfer between residences should complete and return the transfer form which they will find on the accommodation office transfers page. No transfers will take place during the first two weeks of term. The accommodation office will contact students if a suitable room becomes available, priority for transfers will be given to anyone who needs to transfer because of a health problem or a disability. Students are expected to leave their rooms clean and ready for the new tenant.  A re-letting fee of up to £100 may be charged.

Students wishing to transfer rooms within their own residence should contact their student support adviser. No transfers will take place during the first two weeks of term. The Student Support Adviser will contact the student if a suitable room becomes available. Priority for transfers will be given to anyone who needs to move because of a health problem or a disability. A re-letting fee of up to £20 may be charged to cover the costs of administration, room cleaning etc.

Travel and transport

Students should not bring a car to Bristol unless it is essential, for example because of a disability. Bristol is a highly congested city and there are many restrictions on parking in place. The main University campus is contained within the Kingsdown Residents’ Parking Scheme area (KRPS) and the majority of on-street parking in and around the campus is subject to residential permits, meters and time limits. Sustainable travel is embedded within University culture and the University actively encourages the use of alternative methods of travel. Sustainable travel benefits your environment, your health and well-being as well as your finances. Information about your transport options can be found on our student travelwebpages.

You can apply for a residence parking permit if having a car is essential.

All students in our undergraduate residences receive a bus pass for the U1 Bristol UniBus service.

Advice and support

If you are experiencing any difficulties with any aspect of your living situation or life at University, you are encouraged to contact your residence pastoral team, which is made up of your Student Support Adviser, Warden, Deputy Warden and Senior Resident team. You can get details of who is who and how to get in touch on our contacts page.

Other support is available from the Accommodation Office for help with all housing related problems, the Student Fees and Funding Office for help with all money problems, and Student Services, which provides access to a wide range of help and support. The Bristol Students’ Union also provides support and advice to all students on a range of issues.

Active residences

Active residences is a programme of free healthy physical activity opportunities for all students living in University-allocated accommodation, with hubs in Stoke Bishop, City Centre and Clifton. Visit the Active residences pages for full details and timetables

Find us on Facebook

Meet your fellow residents over on our official Facebook Page.

In case of emergency

Call 999
Call University Security on 0117 3311223
Notify a member of hall staff (during the day) or the Senior Resident on Duty (after office hours).

Edit this page