Do you look after someone who couldn’t manage without you?

If you without payment, provide help and support to a partner, child, relative, friend or neighbour, who could not manage without your help, due to frailty, physical or mental illness, drug or alcohol addiction or disability then you are one of the thousands of unpaid carers in Bristol.

Anyone can become a carer; carers come from all walks of life, all cultures and can be of any age. Some young people will have been looking after someone at home while at school or college and still want/need to continue caring while getting on with full or part time further education

Many carers do not consider themselves to be a carer, they are just looking after their mother, father, grandparent, brother, sister, child or best friend, just getting on with it and doing what anyone else would in the same situation.  Carers are often ‘juggling’ their caring responsibilities with paid employment or education.

Carers often don’t choose to become carers: it just happens and they have to get on with it – if they did not do it, who would and what would happen to the person they care for?

Why do carers need support?

Carer Assessments

Carers have a right in law to an assessment of their needs from Social Services.  The main areas this will look at for you are:

The telephone number for an assessment is 0117 922 2700 or email

For independent advice or support with self assessment, you can contact the Princess Royal Trust Carers Centre: Tel 0117 965 2200,  The Centre will also help carers complete the Carers Assessment form.

Hampton House Students’ Health Service

This practice would like to know if you are a carer so that we can offer you help and make sure you know about the services and support that are available to people who care.  Please let your GP or reception know.

Organisations that can help support you: