Visiting Postgraduate Research Students
Under specific conditions, the School of Sociology, Politics and International Studies allows for a limited number of visiting Postgraduate Research (PGR) students from 6 to 12 months.
If you wish to come to the School as a visiting research student, you must be registered as a current research student at another university.
Prospective applicants are required to contact the member of staff they would like to work with and must seek their approval before applying for a visiting position. Once a member of staff has in principle agreed to support this application the applicant needs to submit a completed SPAIS Visiting PHD Student Application Form (Office document, 126kB) together with a 500 word outline of their proposed research at Bristol and two academic references to the Postgraduate Student Administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note, applicants whose first language is not English are also required to demonstrate that they meet the English language requirements for the programme (IELTS score of 7.0 overall, with no sub-test score lower than 6.5) - further guidance is set out in the Profile B guidelines. Please note that your language test certificates must be dated no more than two years before your start date as a Visiting Research Student - i.e. all tests for entry in September 2018 must have been taken in October 2016 or later.
Once we have received your application, it will be reviewed by the proposed member of staff and the Director of Postgraduate Research Programmes. If successful you will be sent an offer letter and provided with further information as necessary. Following a successful application, we will also inform the candidate about the fee.
Visiting research students should note that:
- Visting PhD students are required to pay a bench fee of £3000 per year. Visiting students whose visit duration is not measured in full terms will be charged at £250 per month.
- Visting PhD students are responsible for all costs associated with their visit, including accommodation, subsistence, travel & leisure costs. We do not currently offer any bursaries or other financial support for visiting research students.
- Visiting PGR students will receive supervision by a member of staff equivalent to the supervision arrangements of our regular PhD students.
- Visting PhD students will be permitted to use the communal Doctoral Student rooms within the School, where computers are available. The University of Bristol has several libraries and a computer centre which will also be available to you during the visit. If possible, we recommend that visiting research students bring a laptop computer with them.
- The University of Bristol will not award any credit or make any awards based on work undertaken during the research visit.
- Visting PhD students will expected to engage with the research community in the School within the relevant Research Theme.
For any queries please get in touch with the Postgraduate Student Administrator.