Shape-shifting modular interactive device unveiled 17 May 2016 A prototype for an interactive mobile device, called Cubimorph, which can change shape on-demand will be presented this week at one of the leading international forums for robotics researchers, ICRA 2016, in Stockholm, Sweden [16-21 May].
- Dark Matter search enhanced by LHC’s new turbocharged ‘Brain’ 26 May 2016 The hunt for Dark Matter taking place at the Large Hadron Collider in CERN has taken a great leap forward thanks to new detection technology developed by a team from the UK, including physicists from the University of Bristol.
- Bristol citizens in driving seat for urban regeneration project 26 May 2016 People living in Bristol are set to benefit from a new UK research and innovation initiative that will put them in the driving seat to help improve the city’s health, well-being and prosperity as they face up to challenges of modern urban living.
- Designer nanomaterials caught by laser octopus 26 May 2016 UK researchers have discovered a new way of observing designer nanomaterials – materials 400 times smaller than a human hair.
- Sold-out TEDx event opens up to the Bristol public 24 May 2016 A TEDx event organised by the University of Bristol will be bringing a day of inspirational and thought-provoking talks from expert speakers from around the world to the people of Bristol.
- Survey reveals few GPs use alternatives to face-to-face consultations 24 May 2016 Despite policy pressure on GPs to offer consultations by email or internet video programmes such as Skype, few GPs do and most have no plans to introduce them in future, according to a new study.
- New Head for Bristol’s Vet School 23 May 2016 A veterinary surgeon who has experience across clinical, academic and commercial sectors, has been appointed as the new Head of the University of Bristol’s School of Veterinary Sciences.
- Hitting the right notes: Bristol a cappella group claims national title 23 May 2016 An a cappella singing group from the University of Bristol has wowed judges with its tight harmonies and creative choreography to win a national singing competition.
- Bristol named as leading UK Smart City 20 May 2016 Bristol has been named as a leading UK Smart City in a Huawei report unveiled this week [17 May] at an event attended by Minster for Culture and the Digital Economy, Ed Vaizey, MP.
- Dino jaws: Stegosaurs bite strength revealed 20 May 2016 The first detailed study of a Stegosaurus skull shows that it had a stronger bite than its small peg-shaped teeth suggested.
- Dynamic dazzle distorts speed 19 May 2016 Dazzle camouflage, as used on World War I battleships to fool U-boat commanders, has been modernised for the twenty-first century with moving patterns.