We welcome applications from Australian students. Around one in four students at the University are international, and we would love for you to join our community.
The following information is for guidance only. Competition for places at the University of Bristol is very strong, and the achievement of the qualifications listed does not guarantee that an offer will be made. We aim to respond to your application as quickly as possible to help you plan your studies.
If your qualification is not listed or you have any further questions, please contact us for advice.
International Foundation Programme applicants
The International Foundation Programme (IFP) is delivered by the University of Bristol to prepare international students for a degree programme at the University through tailored English language units and academic subject units.
You can find more information through Kaplan International Pathways, our trusted education partner for applications and admissions to the International Foundation Programme.
You can apply for undergraduate courses through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS). The UCAS institution code for the University of Bristol is BRISL B78.
Entry requirements vary for each course. Please check our undergraduate course listings for details of specific requirements.
- Applicants who have completed the Australian Senior Secondary Certificate of Education with good grades will be considered for admission to the first year of our Bachelor’s degree programmes.
- Applicants with ATAR (or equivalent) with appropriate grades will be considered for admission.
- Applicants who have successfully completed a Foundation Programme with good grades at one of the G8 Australian Universities will be considered for admission to the first year of our Bachelor’s degree programmes.
You should apply online for all our postgraduate programmes.
Entry requirements vary for each programme. Please check our postgraduate programme listings for details of specific requirements.
To be considered for admission to a master's degree programme at the University of Bristol, the minimum requirement for entry is an undergraduate (bachelor’s) degree that is equivalent to a UK upper second-class degree (also known as a 2:1).
- Applicants who hold an Australian Bachelor's degree with good grades can be considered for admission to a Master’s degree. For taught postgraduate programmes, a three year degree with Distinction is required, or if the undergraduate degree was from one of the G8 Universities, credit may also be considered.
- Applicants for Master’s by Research will normally require either a four year Honours degree with good grades (second class), after which they may transfer to PhD study. Applicants who hold an Australian Master’s degree with good grades can be considered for direct admission to PhD study.
The University provides a range of international scholarships, including our Think Big scholarships which can help fund your tuition fees.
Search our full list of funding to find more scholarships offered by the University of Bristol and external organisations.
Find more information about funding your studies on our student finances pages.
The British Council can give guidance and information about higher education in the UK. Find out from their website if there is an office near you and what services are available.
Our student clubs include the International Students' Network and over 400 more catering to different interests and hobbies.
Get in touch
If you have any questions about applying to Bristol, please contact our International Recruitment team:
Phone: +44 (0)117 39 40229
Discover what it's like to study at Bristol with our live chats, online events and virtual campus tour.
Our Student Visa Services Team provides extensive guidance on applying for your study visa.