Visiting research students

The School of Education welcomes research students from other universities who wish to spend time studying with us.

If you wish to come to the School of Education as a visiting research student, you must be registered as a research student at another university. Visiting research students should note that:

  • You are required to pay a bench fee of £1000 per term (or £3000 for a full academic year). Visiting students whose visit duration is not measured in full terms will be charged at £350 per month or part thereof.
  • You are responsible for all costs associated with their visit, including accommodation, subsistence, travel & leisure costs. We do not currently offer any bursaries or other financial support for visiting research students. 
  • Regrettably, we are not able to provide office space for visiting research students. You will be permitted to use the communal Doctoral Student rooms within the School, where computers are available. The University of Bristol has several libraries (including the Education library, located within the School) and a computer centre which will also be available to you during your visit. If possible, we recommend that visiting research students bring a laptop computer with them.
  • The University of Bristol will not award any credit or make any awards based on work undertaken during the research visit.
  • You will expected to engage with the research community in the School of Education within the relevant Research Theme and, if appropriate, within the Department.

If you wish to apply to come to the School of Education as a visiting research student, you must first secure the agreement of a member of academic staff to act as your supervisor for the duration of your visit. Please see our research pages to find members of staff whose research area matches your interests. You should contact them directly, using the contact details given.

Once you have secured the agreement of a potential supervisor, and have agreed dates for your visit with them, please complete the Visiting Research Student application form (Office document, 139kB), and email the completed form to  You will also need to provide a letter from your current instution confirming the degree programme that you are registered on along with your dates of study.

Once we have processed your application, you will be sent an offer letter and provided with further information as necessary.

Please note, applicants whose first language is not English are also required to demonstrate that they meet the English language requirements for the programme (IELTS score of 6.5 overall, with no sub-test score lower than 6.0) - further guidance is set out in the Profile E guidelines; Please note that your language test certificates must be dated no more than two years before your start date as a Visiting Research Student ; i.e. all tests for entry in September 2014 must have been taken in October 2012 or later.

If you have any questions about the application process for visiting research students, please contact us at

Updated Travel Information

The use of the SafeZone app is now mandatory by all staff and students who are travelling on business or are working/studying abroad. Further information can be found on the SafeZone landing page. Further information can be found on the the SafeZone app and the SafeZone Information page.

Edit this page