Frequently asked questions
What do I do if I lock myself out of my room?
- 08:00 - 20:00 Monday to Friday, 08:00 -18:00 Saturday, 09:00 - 17:00 Sunday - go to the Reception desk and they will give you a temporary spare key, which you must return as soon as possible.
- 20:00 - 23:00 Monday to Friday, 18:00 - 23:00 Saturday, 17:00 - 23:00 Sunday - contact the Duty Tutor.
- 23:00 – 08:00 every night contact Security on 87848 (internal), 0117 9287848 (external)
There is a £1 charge for lock-outs which is donated to a charity of the students’ choice.
What do I do if I’m not feeling well?
- If you or one of your friends or neighbours is ill, please notify Reception in the first instance. If Reception is closed, contact the Duty Tutor as soon as possible.
- It is up to you to decide if you need to see a Doctor or not. If you think you need to see or speak to a Doctor you can contact Student Health Service, or NHS Direct.
- In an emergency call 999. The nearest Accident and Emergency Department is at the BRI (Bristol Royal Infirmary) which is situated in Marlborough Street. Please let a senior member of staff know immediately if you or a friend or neighbour from Hall has to go to Hospital. There are trained First Aiders on the Hall staff (see CHH Handbook (PDF, 344kb)) and First Aid boxes are located at Reception, Dining Room and Tutors’ Flats.
- The Hall Executive Assistant can contact your Department to let them know if you are ill, but only if we are informed first.
Who can I talk to if I have problems?
- If you have a problem with your room, or your neighbours in Hall please contact the Warden in the first instance. The Warden and Tutors have pastoral as well as disciplinary responsibilities within Hall.
- The Deputy Wardens and Senior Residents are available to listen to your concerns and can also offer help on academic or personal matters.
- If you would like to talk to someone outside Hall, there is the Student Counselling Service, or Nightline, or the Student Health Service.
What do I do if something in my room or corridor does not work properly?
- Contact Reception on 35190 if there are any fixtures or fittings requiring repairing in your room, corridor, bathroom or kitchen.
- Replacement light bulbs for lamps can be requested from Reception.
- Contact Resnet if there is a problem with your Internet connection.
Who do I inform if I am absent from Hall?
- There is a book in Reception to sign out if you are going to be away overnight or for any longer period.
- We also like you to inform Reception when you leave Hall for the Christmas and Easter vacation and when you anticipate returning.
Can I have guests to stay?
- Permission for a guest to stay in your room must be requested from the Warden. You will be asked to complete a form at Reception, which will be signed by the Warden. The form requests that you let us know the name of your guest and how many nights they will be staying.
- In the case of single sex floors the CHH resident should consult with other residents on the floor regarding their visitor.
- You are responsible for your visitor throughout their stay in Hall.
- Small camp beds are available for hire from Reception. There is a charge of £3.50 per night up to a maximum of 3 nights (£10 for 3 nights), plus a £10 deposit.
- Guest meal tickets can be purchased from Reception.
- We have one designated guest room available at varying times. Please ask at Reception for availability and cost.
Where do I collect my post?
- Post is delivered to the Reception desk Monday to Saturday.
- You will find your post in the alphabetical pigeonholes outside the doors from the Dining Room.
- If the letter is confidential or if you have a package/parcel, you will find a pink slip in your pigeonhole, which is to be taken to Reception for collection. You will be asked to sign for receipt.
Where are the recycling facilities?
- Recycling bins for bottles, paper and cans are placed next to the Fry Wing late door.
- Cardboard can be recycled in the bin outside the Kitchen by the Main Entrance.
- Recycling as much as possible is the responsibility of all the Hall residents.