More about the hall

Churchill Hall frontChurchill Hall was opened in 1956 and named in honour of Sir Winston Churchill, Chancellor of the University from 1929 until his death in 1965. Its 356 study bedrooms are allocated as mainly single sex groups of from four to eight within 16 houses, each of which has a small communal kitchen. The internal arrangements encourage integration, making it easier for people of similar interests to meet and for students to benefit from contact with those studying other subjects.

The houses built between 1956 and 1960 have large rooms. There are good communal bathroom and shower facilities, and 227 of these rooms also have their own washbasins. The more recent addition to Hall, built in 1980, has smaller rooms but has a bathroom between every two rooms and a lounge added to the kitchen of each house. The Holmes is a large Victorian house set in the University’s Botanic Garden. Its rooms are distinctly individual and many of them have their own en suite facilities.

The Hall aims to offer independence without loneliness, and all the facilities and activities of a large, mixed hall without institutional impersonality. It has a number of spacious public rooms including common rooms, a bar, music room, computer room, library, snooker room and launderette.

The dining room is large enough for all residents to sit down together for a formal dinner, usually as a prelude to another social event.

Churchill has strong traditions of staging cabarets, of success in sports, of ‘home grown’ musical ensembles and charity fundraising events