Riding a motorbike or moped might be easier that you think. You don’t necessarily need to hold a driving licence in order to get started. Parking can be easier, running costs are lower, and of course you’ll be producing fewer carbon emissions than making the same journey by car.

Compulsory training

You don’t need to hold a full driving licence in order to ride certain small mopeds. Most people will just need to undertake Compulsory Basic Training and hold a provisional driving licence in order to ride legally on the roads.

Use the government’s online tool to see which vehicles you can drive.

See also the government’s pages about riding a motorcycle, moped or motor tricycle.

Additional training

Travelwest offers motorcycle free motorcycle training days for those living in South Gloucestershire Council.

Staff loan scheme

Staff can take out an interest free loan to purchase a motorbike and equipment for commuting to work. The maximum amount available is £1000 and the repayment period is 12 months.

Motorcycle parking

If parking in internal University of Bristol shared cycle and motorcycle parking please switch off your engines as soon as possible after entering the facility and as late as possible when exiting the facility to prevent exhaust fumes compromising the air quality.

When parking outside, always check signage at each location. Spaces will be delineated by white lines on the group, with the text “solo m/c”.

The Bristol Motorcycle Action Group (Bristol MAG) has created a map of motorcycle parking in Bristol. This should be used as a guide only, and comments should be made to Bristol MAG.

If you can’t find your nearest bike parking using this map, then please contact telling us the name of your closest building.

Motorcycle mileage allowance

University staff can claim mileage for using their moped or motorcycle on University business.

Motorcycle Users Group (MUG)

The University has a Motorcycle Users Group (MUG) which provides a voice for motorcyclists within the University to discuss issues concerning motorcyclists within the University and suggest solutions. In addition, you will be consulted with regarding proposals for new motorbike facilities and to provide advice.

Membership is open to all students and staff.

Sign up to our mailing list by emailing  with a subject line of subscribe motorbike-user-group. Leave the message body blank (this includes removing any signature you have set up). To unsubscribe, send an email to with a subject line of unsubscribe motorbike-user-group. Leave the message body blank (this includes removing any signature you have set up).

University of Bristol Motorcyclists Society

Students and staff can also join the University of Bristol Motorcyclists Society (UBMS) group on Facebook by searching 'University of Bristol Motorcycle Society' where you can post anything motorbike related. Anything to do with bikes goes - pictures, videos, stories. If you're looking for someone to go for a ride with or just looking for advice, this is the place to do it. This society is open to staff and student members.

Motorcycle groups and associations in Bristol

A few motorcycle social groups and associations are listed below, please note that we are only signposting to these groups and the University of Bristol does not take responsibility for the quality or practices of these groups.