Maths test for Engineering courses
If you are applying to one the courses listed below but you are not studying A-level Mathematics or equivalent, we may ask you to take a maths test.
This information is for students applying to start university in September 2021. (Information for students applying for 2022 entry will be available in autumn 2021.)
The information on this page applies to the following engineering courses:
- Aerospace Engineering: BEng (H405), MEng (H410), MEng with Study Abroad in a Modern Language (H401)
- Civil Engineering: BEng (H205), MEng (H200), MEng with Study Abroad in a Modern Language (H201)
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering: BEng (H600), MEng (H606), MEng with Study Abroad in a Modern Language (H605)
- Engineering Design: MEng with Study in Industry (H150)
- Engineering Mathematics: BEng (G162), MEng (G161), MEng with Study Abroad (G160)
- Mechanical and Electrical Engineering: BEng (H361), MEng (H360)
- Mechanical Engineering: BEng (H305), MEng (H300), MEng with Study Abroad in a Modern Language (H301).
Why we test
Engineering courses at the University of Bristol are challenging and students without A-level Mathematics or equivalent have struggled in the past. To ensure that applicants are prepared to succeed we:
- set an entry test designed to assess ability (not existing knowledge) in lieu of an A-level in Maths. This is also to ensure you are able to handle the mathematical challenges in the first year of the course;
- offer additional maths support throughout the first year, alongside the core Engineering Maths 1 unit.
The maths test forms part of your pre-offer assessment and we will not be able to offer you a place if you do not take the test.
Booking your maths test
If we require you to take the maths test, our Admissions Team will contact you. We will send you an email explaining how to register online for your test.
Taking your test
Your test will take place online and you can take it within a 48-hour period. After you have registered for the test, you will be sent your test link three days before the test is due to take place.
The test will only be available during a 48-hour period. During this time, we recommend that you set aside 90 minutes to take the test.
Preparing for the engineering maths test
If you have applied to one of the engineering courses listed above and been invited to take the maths test, then please register via this form to gain access to the mock test.
When we receive your registration, you will be directed to a Blackboard site that contains a mock test. The test has randomised question generation, so can be taken as often as you like. The site also contains an outline of the syllabus we are testing, some videos we have made to help you learn the material, and suggestions of other resources. Please note, though, that other than these videos, we cannot provide actual tuition; if you need further help, you should could contact your school, college or other provider.
Your test results
The department will pass your results to the Admissions Team, who are responsible for making decisions on offers. You will be informed of the decision on your application as soon as possible via UCAS.
If you are usually entitled to extra time in assessments, please note that due to the flexible nature of the test being online and the extensive period of time allowed for completion (48 hours), we anticipate this will allow for adequate provision. It is advisable that you set more than 90 minutes aside to complete the test.
For advice on studying with a disability, contact our Disability Services team on +44 (0)117 331 0444 or email@example.com.
If you have questions or need to change your test date
If you are unsure whether you will be required to sit the maths test, need to change a booked test or if you have any questions about the process, please contact us: +44 (0)117 394 1649 or firstname.lastname@example.org.