Interviews and tests
For some courses we use interviews or tests to assess your suitability. These can also be a great opportunity for you to find out if your chosen subject is right for you.
This information is for students applying to start university in September 2020.
If we want to invite you for an interview or test we will send your invitation via email, so make sure you check regularly the email address that you gave on your application form. You can also see interview invitations on UCAS Track.
We have created an interviews factsheet (PDF, 174kB) to help you prepare for the day.
Courses that always interview
The following courses always interview applicants before making an offer. This is because careers in these areas require strong interpersonal skills.
Find out what to expect from the interview for your chosen course, including locations and accessibility information:
- Dental Hygiene and Therapy
- Dentistry and Gateway to Dentistry
- Gateway to Veterinary Science
- Medicine and Gateway to Medicine
- Veterinary Science: Accelerated Graduate Entry
Maths tests for Engineering
If you are applying to an Engineering course, but you are not studying for a maths qualification at A-level standard, we may invite you to sit a maths test. The admissions team will contact you if this applies to you. Find out more about our maths tests for Engineering.
Interviews for other courses
Some courses will interview applicants in certain situations. You may be asked to interview if:
- you have non-traditional qualifications;
- you have been out of mainstream education for some time.
You may also be interviewed for courses within the following subject areas:
- Earth Sciences
- School of Arts, including:
- Anthropology and Archaeology
- Film and Television
- School of Humanities, including:
- Classics and Ancient History
- History (Historical Studies)
- History of Art (Historical Studies)
- Liberal Arts
- Religion and Theology
- School of Modern Languages, including:
- Hispanic, Portuguese and Latin American Studies
- Veterinary Science
Find out how to get to Bristol.
Need help with the cost of getting here?
We offer a means-tested travel bursary to help with the cost of getting to interviews, departmental open days and visit days.