Wellcome Trust Biomedical Vacation Scholarships
The Wellcome Trust’s Biomedical Vacation Scholarships provide promising undergraduates with hands-on experience of research at the University of Bristol during the summer holidays, with the aim of encouraging you to consider a career in research.
You’ll gain professional experience through a funded internship, gaining knowledge and experience in your chosen subject to help support your application for postgraduate study and other research jobs in the future.
During the Vacation Scholarship you’ll take part in sessions to improve your research skills and gain insights into postgraduate study and research at the University of Bristol. There are also social opportunities for you to get to know the other scholars, as well as staff and students at the University.
Research project may be done remotely, in the laboratory, office, clinic or field and may involve experimental or theoretical approaches, depending on the type of research a supervisor undertakes.
Each supervisor is permitted to host only one Wellcome Trust funded student, so you may wish to submit your top three choices of project.
Supervisors and projects
Projects and supervisors will be announced in February 2024.
You will be paid £10.90 per hour. You will also be eligible for funding to cover travel and accommodation costs.
The Wellcome Trust Biomedical Vacation Scholarship will last six weeks from Monday 3 July to Friday 11 August 2023 (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday). Please note some project dates may vary.
Eligibility and suitability
To apply you must:
- Be registered on a relevant undergraduate course in the UK or Republic of Ireland. Examples of relevant subjects include: science (biomedical, natural, computing or physical sciences), medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, engineering, mathematics and psychology;
- be in the middle year(s) of your degree;
- have not yet undertaken a substantial period of research.
Where a scholarship is oversubscribed, preference will be given to those who:
- are from an ethnic group that is under-represented at the University of Bristol (Asian Pakistani; Asian Bangladeshi; Black Caribbean; Black African; mixed backgrounds featuring one of these groups);
- are a mature student (aged 21 or over when they started their first undergraduate course);
- have a postcode is listed as a '1' or '2' in the POLAR4 column on the POLAR checking tool;
- are a care-leaver or an estranged student;
- have a disability. Please note that the term disability is very wide; further details of what may be considered a disability are in this link definition of disability;
- are currently studying at a non-Russell Group university.
Applicants who do not meet any of these criteria are still eligible to apply.
Please note, you are ineligible to apply if you:
- are in your first or last years;
- have previously undertaken a vacation scholarship from Wellcome or another funding body, or have had significant research experience;
- have completed or are currently undertaking an intercalated year;
- have completed or are currently undertaking a one-year placement in research as part of their degree (eg a sandwich year);
- are a graduate-entry medical student who has completed a previous undergraduate degree in a science-related subject;
- are enrolled on a course outside the UK or the Republic of Ireland.
How to apply
Applications will open in February 2024.
Applications for 2023 have now closed. Applications for summer 2024 will open in February 2024.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.