Your health and safety

How to keep safe and what to do if you are ill and need to self-isolate or need other wellbeing support.

Get a vaccination

Find out how and where to book a COVID-19 vaccination.

Stay safe

What to do if you think you have coronavirus

Check if you have symptoms. If you do, follow these steps:

  1. Stay at home and self-isolate
    Don’t attend classes and avoid socialising with others.
  2. Book a coronavirus test if you haven't already done so.
  3. Tell us by completing the coronavirus self-reporting form.
  4. When you get your result, update the coronavirus self-reporting form.
    What we do with the information you provide

We will tell your school and your residence (if you live in university residences) to make sure you get any support you need.

Contact Student Services if you have any questions:
Telephone: +44 (0)117 428 3000

What to do if you have to self-isolate

Follow our self-isolation guidance for students.

Hand washing and sanitising stations

Washing your hands is an effective way to reduce the risk of spreading coronavirus.

Wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds before coming onto campus and when you get home.

Sanitising stations have been set up at all buildings entrances and all buildings are certified COVID-19 Secure to government guidelines.

Face coverings, masks and visors

All staff and students are now required to wear a face covering inside buildings on campus. This includes libraries, reading rooms and study spaces.unless you are either:

  • exempt
  • eating or drinking
  • can keep a reasonable distance from others – for example, sitting at your office, library or reading room desk.

Students are not obliged to wear face coverings in their homes ie University owned or partnership residences, including communal areas within those residences such as study spaces, social spaces and dining rooms.

Guidance on face coverings set out by UK Government.

Exemptions to wearing face coverings

Some members of our community cannot wear face coverings for medical and or other reasons.

If you are exempt from wearing a face covering we strongly recommend that you wear a green lanyard so you are not challenged by staff and/or students. If you wear a green lanyard this tells others that you are exempt. You can collect your lanyard from Card Services in Royal Fort Lodge - students will need to show their UCard.

Support for vulnerable students

Some of you are from a group previously considered clinically extremely vulnerable from coronavirus.

If you are from one of these groups and you are living in University owned student accommodation, contact the Residential Life team.

For other queries please contact your school office.

We will work with you to decide what reasonable measures or adjustments to make to reduce the risk.

Advice related to your degree course

For advice relating to your course, contact your School Disability Co-ordinator.

Health-related support

If you need any health-related support, contact your doctor, the Students' Health Service or the NHS and follow their advice.

Wellbeing support and services available

We recognise the impact coronavirus has had on the health and wellbeing of many of us. It can be challenging to manage a work/study/life balance in this new world, while looking after your physical and mental health.

Our services are here to help and support you.

Register with a doctor

It is important to look after your general health while you are studying. Our Students' Health Service offers a full NHS doctor service for our students and their families. Before you can use the service you must register with us.

If you live outside the catchment area, you can register with a different doctor. Find out how to register with a doctor.

Infectious diseases: be aware and get protection

We often see other infectious diseases at this time of year. These can be difficult to recognise from COVID-19 symptoms. Check the symptoms:

Contact the Students' Health Service if you are worried.


Find out how to get a coronavirus vaccination.

We offer a full range of vaccinations and 'catch-up' vaccinations at the Students' Health Service.
If you think you are due a vaccination for a disease such as:

  • Meningitis ACWY
  • HPV (Human papillomavirus)
  • catch up dose from childhood MMR

Contact us to book an appointment.

Flu vaccinations

If you have underlying health conditions, you may be eligible for a flu vaccination at the Students' Health Service. If you are not eligible, some pharmacies offer a flu vaccination service. Find out more about flu vaccinations.

If you are registered with us, please tell us when you have had your flu vaccine for this year.

What we do with the information you provide

The University is required to disclose certain information relating to Covid-19 cases among students and staff to external agencies such as Public Health England and Bristol City Council. This helps with the monitoring of the virus and the formulation of actions which need to be taken in response. The information disclosed will identify relevant individual students and staff members and include details of Covid-19 test results, self-isolation, addresses and contact details. It may be used to assist with the national contract tracing service.

The disclosure of information relating to individual students and staff for the purpose of managing Covid-19 is permitted under GDPR and the Data Protection Act, and the University is legally required to provide it under other legislation. Please contact if you have any queries about the use of personal data in this way.

Edit this page