This scholarship covers the cost for an Indian student to undertake a PhD course.
The Zutshi-Smith Scholarship is available for up to four years of study in all disciplines. It covers:
- all University of Bristol tuition fees;
- an annual living stipend in line with UKRI funding levels (£15,609 in 2021/22);
- one return flight to/from India;
- an allowance for research costs.
Accommodation can be provided at the University's Wills Hall in the first year of study only. If this option is taken, the living stipend in the first year wwill be reduced to cover the Hall fees.
You can apply if you:
- have received an offer from the University of Bristol to study for a PhD course for the 22/23 academic year
- are ordinarily resident in India, and preference will be given to applicants of Kashmiri origin
- Applications are welcome from students in all disciplines currently represented at the University of Bristol.
- Applicants may also be current students.
How to apply
Indicate on your programme application form that you want to be considered for funding, including this scholarship. Your programme lead will then complete a nomination form to put you forward for this scholarship. Be sure you give them sufficient time before the deadline to complete the form.
Programme Directors and Postgraduate Admissions Tutors wishing to nominate a PHD candidate for the scholarship must complete the Zutshi-Smith nomination form (Office document, 80kB) and return it to their Faculty PGR Director by 19 April 2022.
The nomination form must be sent to the Faculty PGR Director by midday on 19 April 2022.
Faculty postgraduate research directors will shortlist their top three candidates and send them to the Student Funding Office. The successful candidate will be selected by the Associate Pro Vice-Chancellor and two other colleagues.
Only one application per applicant is permitted and the Associate Pro Vice-Chancellor's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
The Student Funding Office will advise the successful applicant of their Scholarship award on 24 May 2022.