The School of Modern Languages welcomes research students from other universities who wish to spend time studying with us.
The School of Modern Languages has a vibrant research culture encompassing six departments (French, German, Hispanic, Portugese & Latin American Studies, Italian, Russian (including Czech) and Translation Studies). Visitors can benefit generally from a wealth of subject-specific and interdisciplinary resources, but the following specific benefits can be gained:
- Development of relationships with experienced researchers and access to a variety of research-related events both in the School and more widely;
- The opportunity to participate in the life of one of our departments, all of which are home to multiple research clusters;
- Opportunities to present your research to colleagues within the department and wider School for peer support and input.
If you wish to come to the School of Modern Languages as a visiting research student, you must be registered as a research student at another university. Visiting research students should note that:
- You are required to pay a bench fee which will depend on the intensity of supervision you will be provided for during your stay. We can offer either a basic level, which includes one introductory meeting with your staff sponsor, or an advanced level, which includes regular meetings with your staff sponsor. The fees for the basic level are £500 + VAT per term or £1000 + VAT per year. The fees for the advance level are £1500 + VAT per term or £3000 + VAT per year or £350 + VAT per month.
- You are responsible for all costs associated with your visit, including accommodation, subsistence, travel, medical insurance & leisure costs. We do not currently offer any bursaries or other financial support for visiting research students.
- Regrettably, we are not able to provide office space for visiting research students. Howerer, you will have access to our Student Common Room and to the University of Bristol libraries, where computers are available. If possible, we recommend that visiting research students bring a laptop computer with them.
- The University of Bristol will not award any credit or make any awards based on work undertaken during the research visit.
- You will be expected to engage with the research community in the School of Modern Languages within the relevant the Department or Programme and may be invited to present a research talk.
- You will receive a University Card which will give full access to University Library Services, including electronic holdings, databases, and journals.
If you wish to apply to come to the School of Modern Languages as a visiting research student, you must first secure the agreement of a member of academic staff to act as your supervisor for the duration of your visit. Please see our research pages to find members of staff whose research area matches your interests. You should contact them directly, using the contact details given.
Once you have secured the agreement of a potential supervisor, and have agreed dates for your visit with them, please download the Visiting_Doctoral_Application (Office document, 25kB), and email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will also need to provide an academic reference from your current institution confirming the degree programme that you are registered on along with your dates of study.
Once we have processed your application, you will be sent an offer letter and provided with further information as necessary.
Please note, applicants whose first language is not English are also required to demonstrate that they meet the English language requirements for the programme (IELTS score of 6.5 overall, with no sub-test score lower than 6.0) - further guidance is set out in the Profile C guidelines; Please note that your language test certificates must be dated no more than two years before your start date as a Visiting Research Student.
If you have any questions about the application process for visiting research students, please contact us at email@example.com.