In Memoriam Caroline Williams (1962-2019) 21 August 2019 The School of Modern Languages were greatly saddened by the loss of a dear colleague and friend Dr Caroline Williams, Senior Lecturer in the Department of Hispanic, Portuguese and Latin American Studies, who died on 9 August 2019.
- New publications in Screen Worlds 12 January 2022 New publications in Screen Worlds by Albertine Fox in collaboration with the documentary filmmaker Katy Léna Ndiaye
- Bristol Translates 2022: Applications open! 12 January 2022 We are thrilled to announce that applications are now open for the Bristol Translates Literary Translation Summer School, which will take place online from 4 to 8 July 2022.
- The Year Abroad in Lockdown 29 November 2021 Year Abroad photo competition
- MA in Translation formally validated by Chartered Institute of Linguists 2 November 2021 The University of Bristol’s MA in Translation (MAT) programme has become the first translator training programme to be formally validated by the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL), the UK-based professional membership body for language practitioners, as part of a new framework.
- Specialist translation requires intense collaboration, says Jens Berger 21 October 2021 At a recent Translation Industry Expert Talk hosted by the MA in Translation, musicologist and specialist translator Jens Berger spoke about the challenges of a recent major project.
- State of the Nations, 2021 11 October 2021 On 7 October the calendar of departmental events in German started with our annual snapshot of political life in the German-speaking countries. Shortly after German Unity Day on 3 October, and a few weeks ahead of Austrian National Day on 26 October, there was plenty to discuss.
- Christophe Fricker wins First Prize at Dryden Translation Competition 15 September 2021 The School of Modern Languages is delighted to announce that Dr Christophe Fricker is the winner of the first prize at this year’s John Dryden Translation Competition.
- A World First: Bristol’s MAT gains formal Recognition by Chartered Institute of Linguists 5 August 2021 The University of Bristol’s Masters in Translation (MAT) programme has gained formal Recognition by the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL). It is the first translation programme in the world to receive proof of alignment with the UK’s premier professional organisation for languages.
- George Szirtes: Translate for the Shop! 12 July 2021 International Booker Prize winner George Szirtes delivered the keynote lecture at Bristol Translates 2021, the literary translation summer school. Szirtes reflected on his work as a poet, translator and, most recently, judge on the prize he had won himself earlier. He explained that while translation is an activity often carried out “in the lab,” it is important that it should be done “for the shop” so that its fruit can be enjoyed “in the street.”
- Literary translation panels explore networking and business development 9 July 2021