Clinical electives for visiting undergraduate students
Bristol Medical School offers a limited number of clinical elective placements to visiting students in their final year of study.
Clinical elective placements:
are located in one of our Clinical Academies.
- are between four and eight weeks long. They cannot be extended once dates have been agreed
- are limited in number: you need to apply well in advance
Who can apply
Undergraduate medical students can apply if they are in the final or penultimate year of study before qualifying as a doctor.
As a visiting student, your qualifications are subject to the same scrutiny that is applied to all students at the University of Bristol.
You will be asked to provide evidence. This may include:
- a full occupational health check
- a record of appropriate immunisations
- criminal record check
All students are required to sign and abide by the Code of Practice for medical undergraduates.
If you require a visa to study in the UK, please contact Student Visa Services to discuss your options.
How to apply
The following Clinical Academies offer clinical elective placements. You should contact the Clinical Academy of your choice to arrange a placement. A non-refundable fee is payable at the time of acceptance and confirmation of the elective.
Due to the Coronavirus outbreak, some Academies are not accepting elective applications at the moment. We will update this page when the situation changes.
- Swindon, based at Swindon General Hospital (40 miles from Bristol). Due to the current uncertainty and until further notice, only a limited number of electives are available. No further electives can be accepted in Emergency Department, Intensive Treatment Unit, Anaesthetics. Paediatrics or Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Contact: Charlotte Goode - firstname.lastname@example.org
- North Bristol, based at Southmead Hospital. Due to the current uncertainty and until further notice, Southmead Hospital is not accepting applications for medical student elective placements.
- South Bristol, based Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol Children’s Hospital, Bristol Eye Hospital, BHOC, Bristol Heart Institute or St Michael’s Hospital. Due to the current uncertainty and until further notice, South Bristol Academy is not accepting applications for medical student elective placements. All applications that have been submitted and acknowledged so far will be honoured.