Clinical electives for visiting undergraduate students
Bristol Medical School offers a limited number of clinical elective placements to visiting students in their final year of study.
Clinical elective placements:
are located in one of our Clinical Academies.
- are between four and eight weeks long. They cannot be extended once dates have been agreed.
- are limited in number: you need to apply well in advance.
Who can apply
Undergraduate medical students can apply if they are in the final or penultimate year of study before qualifying as a doctor.
As a visiting student, your qualifications are subject to the same scrutiny that is applied to all students at the University of Bristol.
You will be asked to provide evidence. This may include:
- a copy of your passport's ID page, or other formal ID
- a full occupational health check including a record of appropriate immunisations
- criminal record check
- an interim degree transcript or other confirmation that you are a Medicine student
- if English is not your first language, confirmation that you meet the following proficiency profile: Profile C | Study at Bristol | University of Bristol
All students are required to sign and abide by the Code of Practice for medical undergraduates.
If you require a visa to study in the UK, please contact the Student Visas Team to discuss your options.
How to apply
The following Clinical Academies offer clinical elective placements. You should contact the Clinical Academy of your choice to arrange a placement. A non-refundable fee is payable at the time of acceptance and confirmation of the elective.
- Bath, based at the Royal United Hospital. Due to the current uncertainty and until further notice, Bath Academy is not accepting applications for medical student elective placements.
- North Bristol, based at Southmead Hospital. This Academy is unfortunately now at capacity for 2023 and will not be able to respond to any emails regarding new 2023 placements.
- Contact: NorthBristolAcademy@nbt.nhs.uk
- Somerset, based at Musgrove Park Hospital in Taunton and Yeovil District Hospital. Somerset Academy is not accepting applications for medical student elective placements at this time.
- South Bristol
- based at the Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol Children’s Hospital, Bristol Eye Hospital, BHOC, Bristol Heart Institute or St Michael’s Hospital. Contact: email@example.com. This hospital is now at capacity for 2023 and will not be able to respond to any emails regarding new 2023 placements. If you wish to discuss an elective placement for 2024, please contact the Academy between 1 and 30 November 2023. The Academy will not be able to respond to emails received outside of this timeframe.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- based at the Children’s Emergency Department of Bristol Royal Hospital for Children. A limited number of elective placements will be available from June 2024 onwards. Applications unfortunately cannot be assessed for placements starting before this time.
- Contact: Dr M Malley ChildrensEDelective@uhbw.nhs.uk
- Swindon, based at Swindon General Hospital (40 miles from Bristol). A limited number of electives are available. No further electives can be accepted in Emergency Department, Intensive Treatment Unit, Anaesthetics. Paediatrics or Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
- Contact: Charlotte Goode email@example.com