Join us as a visiting postgraduate student
We welcome visiting postgraduate students who would like to spend time with us.
If you are considering visiting us as a postgraduate student, you will normally be registered for postgraduate study in another institution either in a research environment or a taught environment.
Your planned visit to Bristol may, for example, be part of a collaboration, to learn about a specific technique or topic, or simply to gain some research experience in a different environment or you may be a taught Masters student seeking a placement.
There are two ways you can visit Bristol Medical School either as a visiting student or as an occasional student:
- If you are interested in studying with us without gaining credit (ie a qualification or a contribution to a qualification you are currently registered for), you would be classed as a visiting student. A fee will be incurred for this type of study and should be agreed with the School prior to registration. The fee will vary depending on the study undertaken.
- If you are studying for credit you would be classed as an occasional student, and a fixed fee pro rata from the programme studied would be charged.
Either way, as a visiting postgraduate student you will have access to University facilities, but will not be fully registered on any of our degree programmes.
If you are considering joining us as a visiting postgraduate student, you should first contact a potential supervisor who works in your chosen topic area. Contacts
It is important to discuss the following with the supervisor before entering into an agreement:
- Expectations – how long you will spend in Bristol, what research/training you will undertake, the methods you will learn, and what supervision you will receive.
- Cost – you should discuss the cost of your visit, which may vary depending on your mode of study, and your topic area. For example: Laboratory work will incur a higher cost than desk-based research.
- Visa – if you are an international student you will be required to comply with home office legislation. For further information on visa requirements please visit the student support pages.
- English language requirements – if you are an international student and require a student visa to study then a minimum IELTS score is required, for further information please contact the Health Sciences Faculty office firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Qualifications and references – before visiting, you will normally be expected to provide copies of relevant qualifications, and two academic references.
You must complete an application form: Visiting student application form (Office document, 146kB)
You should select 'Faculty of Health Sciences' and then either 'Population Health Sciences Visiting PGR/Translational Health Visiting PGR/', stating clearly in the 'Personal Statement' section that you will be a visiting student. If you are seeking a visit as a taught Masters student you should select `Faculty of Health Sciences` and then either `Population Health Sciences Visiting PGT/Translational Health Sciences Visiting PGT`
Please note the visiting student policy requires a letter of agreement between student and School. This should be drafted by your proposed supervisor, signed by you and your supervisor, and uploaded to the online application.