New papers shed light on wildcat mystery 23 November 2023 New research from the Institute for Statistical Science has shown that wildcats in Britain lived alongside domestic cats since their introduction 2,000 years by the Romans, but only started interbreeding 60 years ago.
- New papers shed light on wildcat mystery 23 November 2023 New research from the Institute for Statistical Science has shown that wildcats in Britain lived alongside domestic cats since their introduction 2,000 years by the Romans, but only started interbreeding 60 years ago.
- Congratulations Nick Baskerville 6 November 2023 Nick Baskerville has been awarded the 2023 Doctoral Prize for Mathematical / Environmental Sciences
- Congratulations Ben Krause 31 October 2023 Professor Ben Krause's recent paper, Pointwise ergodic theorems for non-conventional bilinear polynomial averages, has been recommended to receive a 2023 Best Paper Award in Mathematics.
- Dr Nikolas Breuckmann awarded the ‘2023 James Clerk Maxwell Medal and Prize’ 17 October 2023 Congratulations to Dr Nikolas Breuckmann on being awarded the ‘2023 James Clerk Maxwell Medal and Prize’
- Earthquake Forecasting Paper published in American Geophysical Union journal: Earth's Future 10 October 2023 COMPASS Student Sam Stockman and Statistics Institute member Dan Lawson have worked collaboratively with seismologist Max Werner from the School of Earth Sciences to publish a paper into the American Geophysical Union journal; Earth's Future.
- Dr Laura Monk set to mingle with Hollywood stars after winning prestigious science prize 15 September 2023 Dr Laura Monk has been named as one of winners of the 2024 Breakthrough Prizes, a prestigious set of accolades dubbed the ‘Oscars of Science’ which boasts an awards ceremony featuring many A-List celebrities.
- University announces partnership with Martingale Foundation 12 September 2023 The partnership will offer scholarships for students from low-income backgrounds to pursue a master’s and PhD study in the School of Mathematics.
- Quantum computing company co-founded by Bristol scientist lands £13m investment 22 August 2023 Congratulations to Ashley Montanaro, who’s company, Phasecraft has secured more than £13m in funding to develop its revolutionary technology.
- University of Bristol wins 3 bronze medals at the International Mathematics Competition for University Students (IMC) 2023 17 August 2023 We congratulate the University of Bristol team for their success and for the worthy representation of the University of Bristol in this prestigious Olympiad!
- Pure Mathematics welcomes Dr Alice Pozzi 14 August 2023 The Institute for Pure Mathematics is delighted to welcome Dr Alice Pozzi, who joins us as a Lecturer in Pure Mathematics.