Each of the five departments within the School of Humanities has a broad-reaching scope for ground-breaking research, each focusing on key areas.
There are six interdisciplinary Research Centres within the Faculty of Arts.
Centre for Black Humanities
Centre for Environmental Humanities
Centre for Health, Humanities and Science
Centre for Material Texts
Centre for Medieval Studies
Centre for Science and Philosophy
- Institute of Greece, Rome and the Classical Tradition
- Bristol Poetry Institute
- Buddhist Studies
- Christianity and Culture
- History of Music in Britain, the Empire and the Commonwealth
- Romantic and Victorian Studies
- Colonial and Postcolonial Societies
- Visual and Literary Cultures in France
Other groups associated with the School
- Cabot Institute
- Institute for Advanced Studies
- Special Collections
- Theatre Collection
- Worldwide Universities Network
Research in the Faculty
Our research forms part of the overall research activities and strategies of the Faculty of Arts.
Active research projects
For a list of current research projects in the school, please see the faculty research website's list of active research projects.
Looking to join us?
Interested in being a visiting researcher?
If you would like to be a visiting researcher at the University of Bristol, please see the School of Humanities' guidelines for visiting researchers, where you will also find an application form.