Global Opportunities Scholarship
This scholarship is to help fund virtual international study, work or volunteer experiences that are related to your academic or career development.
Due to the ongoing uncertainty around international travel, we are not able to support in-person international opportunities this year. You can still apply for the Global Opportunities Scholarship for virtual international experiences that do NOT involve international travel. We hope to return to supporting overseas travel in 2021/2022.
If you find your own international opportunity, not run by UoB, you can apply for a Global Opportunities Scholarship to help cover the cost.
This year, you can only use a Global Opportunities Scholarship for a virtual international activity that does NOT involve international travel. A virtual activity could be a remote international internship, an virtual summer school, an online language course, or a remote international volunteering programe. Some of our partner organisations are offering virtual programmes.
Your chosen activity should help you develop new skills. It could be related to your academic subject, or be relevant for your future career plans. Although your activity will be online, it should involve person-person interaction (i.e with other students, lecturers, internships managers etc).
There are 50 Global Opportunities Scholarships available, worth up to £500 each. The scholarship is to cover placement or programmes fees.
You are eligible to apply if you meet all of the following criteria:
- you are an undergraduate student
- you will be spending at least 5 days working, volunteering or studying remotely
- your activity is virtual, and does NOT involve international travel
- you are using the scholarship for an international experience that is not funded or supported by Global Opportunities
- you are not on a degree programme that includes a semester or year abroad
- you have not participated in another Global Opportunities activity, such as a short-term programme
- your international activity will take place before you graduate
- your international activity is not in your home country
If you have received a Global Opportunities Scholarship or Knowlson Trust Travel Award in the past, you may not apply again.
Before you start
To receive your scholarship, you will need to:
- provide Global Opportunities with proof of participation, such as an acceptance letter
- agree to a set of terms and conditions
If you are unable to complete your planned activity, you will need to repay the scholarship to the University.
When you finish
Within four weeks, you will need to complete a feedback form and provide a reflection or summary of your experience. This can be:
- a written summary (min. 300 words, max. 500 words)
- a blog or blog post
- a vlog
- a video
- a captioned photo collection (min. 8 photos, max 20 photos)
- any combination of the above
These should be sent to email@example.com
How to apply
Applications are open and you can access the online application form below.
Applications have been extended until the end of May.
Application deadline: Monday 31st May 2021 (midnight)
We will inform you of the outcome of your application 10 days after the deadline.