Work abroad for a year or semester

Discover if you can spend a year or semester working abroad as part of your degree and how to arrange it.


You can work abroad as part of three of a four-year degree, if you are enrolled on:

  • a degree within the School of Modern Languages
  • a degree with a 'Year in Industry'
  • a degree with a 'Year with Industrial Experience'.

If you are not eligible to work abroad as part of your degree, you could still gain invaluable work experience abroad during the University holidays.

Find out more about the University of Bristol partner summer work programmes or find your own opportunities to work abroad.

Finding and applying for a placement

Finding a placement is your responsibility, but the university can offer support. 

Before you go abroad

If you are a School of Modern Language student, Global Opportunities and your academic department will provide you with guidance and information about the practical aspects of working and living overseas.

If you are a Year in Industry or Year with an Industrial placement student, guidance will come from your academic department. 

Find out more about fees, funding and budgeting for your time abroad. 

While you are aborad

Find out what to do while you are abroad

Edit this page