GO China: Culture and Language
An exciting four-week Chinese culture and language summer programme in the heart of Beijing.
Dates: 4 weeks starting in July 2018
Location: Beijing Institute of Technology (BIT), Beijing, China
Application deadline: 15 December 2017
- Programme and accommodation costs are covered by Beijing Institute of Technology.
- Tuition for all classes
- Accommodation for the duration of the programme
- Organised trips and excursions
- Students will have to cover the following costs:
- return flights to and from Beijing
- visa and travel insurance
- food and personal spending money.
The Beijing Institute of Technology has invited up to 25 University of Bristol students from any discipline to attend a Chinese culture and language immersion programme in summer 2018.
Beijing Institute of Technology is a highly-ranked research university, with specialisms in science and engineering and a standout location in the Chinese capital. Course topics may include Chinese history, the Chinese economy, or Chinese calligraphy and painting, alongside Mandarin Chinese lessons. Your summer experience will extend beyond the classroom and will include trips designed to develop your cultural and linguistic experience.
This is a unique opportunity to gain international experience while deepening your understanding of Chinese culture. You will acquire cross-cultural skills and build a basic knowledge of Mandarin Chinese, two competencies that are greatly valued by employers.
In order to participate in this programme you must be:
- a 1st, 2nd or penultimate year student (3rd year on a 4 year programme)
- a University of Bristol undergraduate from any discipline*
- a British or other national who doesn’t hold a People's Republic of China passport
- on a degree programme that does not include a semester or year studying or working abroad
- interested in China and the Chinese language. No previous Chinese language proficiency is required.
* The Go China Engineering programme is only open to students from Engineering disciplines.
Application and selection
Apply now via the Go China Summer programme 2018 online application
Submit your online application by midday (GMT), 15 December 2017.
We are looking for a diverse group of University of Bristol students who are open-minded and excited to embrace a cultural experience in China. To make the most of this opportunity ideal applicants will be flexible, resilient, positive team players who are eager to learn in an overseas environment.
Spaces in this programme will be allocated on a competitive basis, with priority given to students who provide a compelling responses to the 3 main application questions:
1. Why are you applying to the GO China programme and what do you hope to gain from participating? (no more than 400 words)
2. Tell us about a challenge you might encounter when participating in the GO China programme. What skills could you use to overcome this? (no more than 200 words)
3. If you were successful in gaining a place on the GO China programme, how would you document your experience in China to further promote the programme to other Bristol students? (no more than 200 words)
Good luck and we look forward to receiving your applications!
Students selected to participate on this programme are eligible to apply for the Global Opportunities scholarship scheme, which provides 80 students across the University with up to £500 toward their short-term international experience.
For more information, see bristol.ac.uk/go-abroad-scholarships
Complete your online application here before 15 December 2017!
If you need more information about studying or working abroad
Phone: +44 (0) 117 39 40205
In Person: 3rd Floor, 31 Great George Street, University of Bristol, BS1 5QD