Relax, make connections, enjoy fun events and further your development in this dedicated space for Bristol's postgraduate researcher community.
What is the Hub?
The PGR Hub is a cross-disciplinary research collaboration space where you can connect with fellow research students from across the University.
The Hub consists of:
- the Training Space: a bookable training room for events, meetings, workshops and other development-focused activities
- the Collaborative Space: a communal area where you can meet other PGRs, enjoy social occasions and generally hang out
- a Bristol Doctoral College office.
Where is the Hub?
You can find the Hub on the second floor of Senate House.
When is the Hub open?
When the University is open, PGRs can use their UCards to access the Hub's Collaborative Space from 8am–10pm on Monday to Friday.
The BDC office is open from 9am–5pm, Monday to Friday.
Access to the Training Space will depend on that day's events. To make a booking, use the Hub booking form in which you will be asked to agree to the expectations set out in the PGR Hub user guidance (PDF, 532kB).
Please note that there is no access to the Hub on bank holidays and University closure days. These dates can be found on the University dates page.
What can I do in the Hub?
The aim of the Hub is to make it easy for you to meet PGRs from beyond your faculty or department — and to ensure there’s a dedicated space for a wide range of PGR-focused events, from training sessions to relaxing coffee and cake hours.
Here are some examples of the types of activities that the Hub can host. (Please note that the list is by no means exhaustive!)
- Most workshops in the BDC-curated Personal and Professional Development (PPD) programme are held in the Hub's Training Space or adjacent meeting rooms. To see what’s available, visit the PPD course directory.
- The Training Space can also be booked for PGR-run workshops, meetings and drop-in writing sessions. Contact the BDC if you want to check when it’s available, and use the Hub booking form to request the space.
- Come in for a cuppa! Tea and coffee-making facilities are available — and the second-floor kitchen is nearby — so the Collaborative Space is an ideal place to have lunch or enjoy a break with a beverage.
- Meet other PGRs at one of our regular coffee and cake hours, held on the first Wednesday of the month.
- Enjoy a board-game break. The Hub has over a dozen games and a selection of jigsaws.
- Borrow a book or DVD — or swap them for one of your own.
- Hold your own event. We have launched a new PGR Community Fund that will provide financial support for PGR-run Hub events — from movie nights to meditation sessions.
How can I find out what's happening in the Hub?
From late September 2019, all PGRs will receive regular emails from the BDC that highlight upcoming events in both the Training Space and the Collaborative Space.
Details of many events will also be listed on the PGR Hub Facebook group.
How can I book the Hub for a training session or hold my own event?
Please use the Hub booking form to request the Training Space.
If you want to discuss potential dates or check availability before making a booking, please contact the BDC.
PGRs are welcome to hold events in the Collaborative Space, although the space must remain open to the wider community.
If you have an idea for a non-research-related event that will bring PGRs together in the Hub, you are eligible to apply for our PGR Community Fund. If your Community Fund application is successful, the BDC will book the space for you. (Depending on the nature of the event, this could also include the Training Space.)
If you want to book the Collaborative Space without applying for the PGR Community Fund, you can use the Hub booking form to submit your request.
If you have an idea for a non-research related social event or activity, which you would like to host in the PGR Hub, you can apply for an award from the PGR Community Fund. Find out more here.
See what we shared with Bristol's PGR community in our most recent 'What's happening in the PGR Hub' email.