Alternative Exams Arrangements (AEAs)
We can adjust your exams, so you are not disadvantaged because of a disability. The aim of our recommendations is to give you a fair chance to display your learning. These adjustments are called Alternative Exam Arrangements (AEAs).
- extra time in exams
- using a computer or other specialist equipment
- rest breaks
- a smaller or less distracting exam venue
- a reader
- a scribe
- an alternative form of assessment, such as a take-home paper or viva (oral exam).
This is not a complete list.
We will discuss our AEAs recommendations with you, but we may not recommend all the AEAs you feel you need. Your AEAs may not match those you had at another institution or at A-level. We make AEAs recommendations in your Disability Support Summary (DSS). We send this to your School Disability Coordinator and to the Library Support Team. We also send a record of your AEAs recommendations to Examinations.
Apply for AEAs
Use this online form to apply for Alternative Exams Arrangements (AEAs).
You only need to apply if you don't already have a Disability Support Summary (DSS). If you want to review the AEAs in your DSS please contact us.
Deadlines for getting AEAs in place
There are deadlines for getting AEAs in place. Due to COVID-19 not all of the 21/22 deadlines have been finalised by the University yet. We will update this website when the dates are confirmed.
- For the January assessment period (10 - 21 January 2022), you must have received a Disability Support Summary, or completed the online AEAs form and provided evidence of a disability by 11:59pm on Monday 15th November 2021. Your application cannot be processed unless we have evidence of a disability. If you cannot get evidence, please contact us as soon as possible.
- If you need AEAs for the Summer assessment period (16 May - 6 June 2022) and do not already have a DSS, please complete the online AEAs form and provided evidence of a disability soon.
If you miss the deadlines, you may have to submit Extenuating Circumstances (ECs) instead. Be sure to make early contact with Disability Services if you need alternative exam arrangements.
Next AEAs deadline
For the 21/22 January Assesment period, the deadline to get AEAs from Disability Services is 11:59pm on Monday 15 November 2021.
Apply for AEAs
You only need to apply if you don't already have a Disability Support Summary (DSS).
If you want to review the AEAs in your DSS, contact us.
How do I know if my AEAs are in place?
Contact your School Disability Coordinator to confirm that your AEAs are in place.