Information for Students

Personal Possessions Insurance for Students in University Owned Accommodation

Most students in University owned accommodation, such as the Halls of Residence, have personal effects insurance provided as part of their accommodation contract.  A charge for the insurance is included as part of the rent.  If you are not sure if insurance is provided with your accommodation please check with the Accommodation Office or if you are studying at Langford, please check with the Langford Residences Office.

Students in Unite accommodation have separate insurance arranged by Unite with Endsleigh.  Please refer to the details provided on the Accommodation Office website regarding your residence for details of your cover.

The cover is provided by a broker called which is a branch of UK and Ireland Insurance Services (Online) Limited and the insurer is Lloyd's Syndicate 4444.  The policy number is BRIS2016.

Basic policy cover

up to £6,000 (with a limit of £1,500 for any one item).

This includes:

up to £2,500 for computers (including accidental damage)

up to £1,250 for jewellery, watches and other valuables

up to £1,000 for audio, DVD, video and other data carrying media
Landlord's property up to £5,000 for theft or fire damage
In transit at the beginning and end of term up to £6,000
In University designated storage during vacations up to £6,000
In University and Student Union buildings up to £1,250
Library Books up to £500
University property on loan up to £500
Replacement keys and locks up to £500 following damage resulting from a burglary
rented household goods up to £1,250
Personal money up to £50 for theft from your room following forcible entry
Mobile phone  up to £300 for theft from your room following forcible entry
Credit/ debit card fraud up to £500 for theft from your room following forcible entry
Personal Accident up to £10,000 on a scale of benefits
Accidental death or redundancy of a parent of guardian up to £5,000
Legal liability (for injury to others or damage to their property) up to £1,000,000 

There is a £10.00 excess on the policy. All insurance policies contain exclusions and condiitons: please check the policy wording on the Cover 4 Students website.

A leaflet giving details of the cover will be provided by your hall/residence at the start of your first term.  A copy can also be found here: Personal Possessions Leaflet (PDF, 803kB)

You can find further information, including the policy schedule, Key Facts booklet and policy wording on the Cover 4 Students website.

It is for you to check that the cover provided is sufficient for the possessions that you are bringing to University with you.  Please note that additional cover extensions can be purchased from the insurer e.g. to cover bicycles or accidental damage to equipment other than computers.

If you need to claim you can find more information about how to do this on the how to claim page of the website.

Please note you must report thefts to the police within 24 hours of the loss in order to claim.

The insurers will need to see proof of ownership for lost or damaged items so please keep copies of purchase receipts for large items such as laptops and cameras.

If you need any assistance please contact the Insurance Office and we will be happy to help - 0117 39 41828 

Travel Insurance for Erasmus/ Year Abroad Students

Students who will be going on Year Abroad 2017/18

Cover with our new insurer Royal and Sun Alliance is available to purchase on the Online Shop now:

Online Shop Europe

Online Shop Worldwide

Please note this is a group policy used by all staff and other students.  It is not a policy in your own individual name and you should check the policy wording carefully to make sure it meets your needs.  You may also want to check other policies that are available on the market to ensure you have the best policy for your trip.

The policy number is RTT276323 and the insurer's emergency contact number is: 00 44 20 8763 3155.  You can also contact the insurers by e-mail: . A summary of the cover can be found below:

 Personal Accident Benefits:-


 Loss of Limbs or Sight

 Permanent Total Disablement


 Emergency Medical & Travel Expenses (incurred outside UK)

 Including emergency repatriation due to illness 

 (Capita Global Assistance)


 Baggage (limit any one item £3,000)

 Baggage delay (4 hours+)


 up to £2,000

 Money, credit card misuse


 (cash limit £3,000)

 Travel documents

 up to £2,000

 Cancellation, curtailment, alteration to itinerary or rearrangement expenses

 (as a direct result of any cause outside your control)

 Travel delay - £200 after 4 hours and £50 for each subsequent hour up to a maximum of £750


 Legal Expenses



 £300 per day

 (max £100,000)

 Personal liability for injury or damage to property

 £5 million

 Search and Rescue costs




Additional information:

Placements and fieldwork (including EMS)

Please read our Student Placement Guidance (Office document, 51kB)

Personal Accident Insurance

The University has purchased Personal Accident insurance to cover all registered students whilst:

Like all insurance policies there are limitations.  Please read the policy wording: Student PA policy wording (PDF, 83kB)

This policy should not be a substitute for adequate travel insurance.

Students' Union Activities

The University of Bristol Students’ Union is included under the University of Bristol’s insurance arrangements as regards legal liability risks. 

The Public Liability insurance includes member to member liability for members of most Student Union clubs or societies (excluding clubs involved with aerial (e.g. sky diving), underground (e.g. caving), water (e.g. yacht club) activities - members of clubs in these excluded areas should ask their club for details of their Public Liability insurance).