Property, legal liability, motor and other insurance policies are arranged by the University Insurance Officer, Ginny Hope. These pages summarise the insurance cover and provide guidelines on how to make a claim.
If you have any queries regarding insurance, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone the Insurance Officer Ginny Hope on 0117 928 7791 or Nicola Semple, Insurance Assistant on 0117 331 7030.
Summary of Insurance Policies
Property (Excluding computers) - Insurer Zurich Municipal Insurance
On site - Equipment whilst on University premises
We insure "All Risks" of physical loss or damage to University property or property in our custody or control whilst on University premises.
Off site - Equipment being taken by staff to exhibitions, expeditions or projects away from University premises
Insured for "All Risks" of physical loss or damage worldwide up to £100,000 any one item, up to £250,000 any one claim. If this is exceeded please contact the Insurance Office.
Please note the University's property insurance policy contains conditions relating to fire precautions which local safety officers should read and familiarise themselves with.
Audio visual equipment lent to staff, students or other authorised persons
The insurance has been extended to cover audio visual equipment lent to staff, students or other authorised persons [Word Document - 20Kb] with a reduced excess.
Transit insurance can be provided on request for packages being sent abroad via DHL or other couriers. Please contact the Insurance Office and provide the following information:
- Date of sending
- Pick up address
- Delivery address
- Will it be air freight or shipped?
- Description of equipment - make, model etc
- Value of equipment
- Who will pack it?
- How will it be packed?
Please note we will require at least 48 hours notice in order to put cover in place.
"All Risks" of accidental loss or damage worldwide.
£5,000 reduced to £1500 for portable computers.
Losses from unattended vehicles.
Departments should establish a procedure to authorise the use of University computer equipment by staff at home [Word Document - 21Kb].
Departments are also reminded that laptop computers, in particular, do not meet Display Equipment Regulations and so prolonged use may constitute a Health & Safety hazard. Please read the Health and Safety Office guidance document Laptops DSE Code of Practice.
This insurance is intended to provide cover for additional costs following damage to premises as follows:
Basis of cover
Loss of 36 months revenue/ profit up to £30 million
Cost of additional expenditure following damage to premises - up to £15 million for 36 months
Loss of 36 months commercial rental income
Drivers have to be authorised by their department. They must be aged over 21 to drive cars and over 25 to drive minibuses.
- Employer's Liability - our legal liability to our employees for death or injury. A copy of the certificate is available to all employees.
- Public Liability - our legal liability to third parties (ie: students, visitors or members of the public) for death or injury or damage to their property, including the University's legal liability to research participants in any clinical research (other then drug trials). A letter providing confirmation of the University's Public Liability cover is available.
- Professional Negligence - our legal liability for breach or professional duty by reason of any negligent act or accidental error or omission in teaching, research or consultancy. Including legal liability for death or injury to any research participant in any clinical drug trial. A letter providing confirmation of the University's Professional Negligence cover is available.
- Libel and slander - our legal liability for libel or slander.
For general guidance on research governance within the University - see www.bris.ac.uk/research/support/governance. Please also see our guidance on indemnity arrangements for Medical Practitioners [Word Document - 112Kb] and specimen answers [Word Document - 26Kb] to questions A76 (1-4) on your IRAS application form.
The University provides competitively priced travel insurance for employees travelling abroad on University business or students on field trips, electives, seeing practice and the like. For more information please see Travel - Guidelines.
The University has arranged Personal Accident protection to cover all employees whilst they are engaged in University business including whilst working from home and travelling to and from their place of work.
More information about how to make a claim is available.