GW4 is an alliance which combines the intellectual capacity and physical resources of the four leading research-intensive universities in the South West of England and Wales: Bath, Bristol, Cardiff and Exeter.
By building on existing collaborations and by fostering new engagements, GW4 universities work together across all academic activity, opening up growing opportunities to collaborate in common areas of shared facilities, learning, training and development.
Areas of collaboration
Contact your local GW4 team
GW4 Programme Manager
Tel: 0117 331 7128
Jennifer Hawkins, GW4 PGR Partnerships Officer
Abigail Jackson, GW4 PGR Administrative Assistant
Tel: 0117 92 88179
To contact individual GW4 Doctoral Training Partnerships, please visit the GW4 website.
Claudia Gumm and Pam Lock, GW4 Developing People Officers
Tel: 0117 39 40719 / 0117 39 40737
Gonzalo Velasco Berenguer & Emily Derbyshire, GW4 Administrative Assistants
Tel: 0117 39 40756 / 0117 39 40705
GW4 Funding Opportunities
Current funding opportunities:
- Building Communities Programme - funding to build research communities of scale and capability (The call for applications is currently open and ends 31 May 2017. Visit the GW4 website for information on how to apply.)
- Tailored Workshops for GW4 Collaborations - supporting newly formed research communities through bespoke events facilitated by an external consultant
- Joint Innovative PGR Teaching for Cohorts - funding for pilot activities in joint PGR teaching
- Developing your Doctoral Training Entity - Individual DTEs can apply for a tailor-made, facilitated workshop to focus on developing the staff and processes specific to their DTE and team (call open)
- GW4 Doctoral Student Training Scheme - funding for GW4-wide specialist training identified by PGRs themselves
GW4 Research Development Opportunities
There are different research development opportunities offered across the four GW4 universities:
- GW4 PGR research and professional skills training are available to PGR students.
- Shared training opportunities are available to research staff.
- Annual Doctoral Training Event for Collaboration Skills - develop skills for research collaboration and provide practical experience in applying these skills
A number of useful resources developed by GW4 are available to all researchers at GW4 Universities.
- GW4 PGR Toolkit: a collection of tools to support the development and operation of doctoral training programmes
- GW4 Communication for Collaboration: tool to support PGR students in undertaking collaborative work and communicating their research to others
- GW4 Guide to Research Collaboration: a tool to help you plan and manage your research collaboration
- GW4 Treasures: details of the archives and special collection available across the GW4 Alliance
- GW4 Equipment Sharing Database: a searchable database detailing the research equipment owned by the GW4 Universities
- GW4 Information Event Slides: a copy of the slides for the GW4 Information Event held on the 30 September 2015 in Bristol