“UPSTREAM – Phase II”
We invite you to take part in the 5-year follow up of the UPSTREAM study (“UPSTREAM – Phase II”).
Please note: The “UPSTREAM - Phase II” study is active; it formally started on 01 July 2019 and will run through to 30 June 2022.
- You previously took part in the UPSTREAM study (“UPSTREAM – Phase I”) because you had urinary problems such as difficulty passing urine, or frequent and urgent need to pass urine (lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS)). We monitored your symptoms and the treatment you received for 18-months. You agreed to be contacted about a longer term follow up.
- We now want to establish the longer term (5-year) results of any treatment that you received for your LUTS, and what extra treatment may have been needed after the initial 18-months (“UPSTREAM – Phase II”).
- In taking part in “UPSTREAM - Phase II”, you do not need to return to hospital for any clinical assessments. Instead we will ask you to complete one questionnaire booklet about your urinary symptoms, their effect on your everyday life, and your general state of health. To thank you for your time we will offer you a £20.00 gift voucher upon receipt of your completed questionnaire.
- We will also securely collect information relevant to this study from central NHS records. For example, information about relevant inpatient stays and outpatient attendances.
- By taking part in this study, you will be providing evidence for future men with bothersome LUTS who may be faced with similar decisions you and your urologist have had about assessing and treating your condition.
- You can stop taking part in this study at any time.
- Full details about the 5-year follow up of UPSTREAM study (“UPSTREAM – Phase II”) can be found in the Participant Information Sheet, below.
Please contact a member of the UPSTREAM Study Office if there are any parts of this information that you do not understand, or you would like further information on.