Journal publications (since 2016)
- Selman, L., Bristowe, K., Higginson, I. J. & Murtagh, F. The views and experiences of older people with conservatively managed renal failure: a qualitative study of communication, information and decision-making, 24 Jan 2019, (Accepted/In press) BMC Nephrology.
- Bristowe, K., Selman, L., Higginson, I. J. & Murtagh, F. Invisible and intangible illness: a qualitative interview study of patients’ experiences and understandings of conservatively managed end-stage kidney disease, 2 Jan 2019, Annals of Palliative Medicine.
- Brims, FJH, Gunatilake, S, Lawrie, I, Marshall, L, Fogg, C, Qi, C, Creech, L, Holtom, N, Killick, S, Yung, B, Cooper, D, Stadon, L, Cook, P, Fuller, E, Walther, J, Plunkett, C, Bates, A, Mackinlay, C, Tandon, A, Maskell, N, Forbes, K, Rahman, NM, Gerry, S, Chauhan, A, on behalf of the RESPECT-Meso investigators. A randomised controlled trial of regular early specialist palliative care on quality of life in malignant pleural mesothelioma – ‘RESPECT-Meso’. Thorax, 11.12.2018.
- Pocock, L.V., Wye, L., French, L.R., Purdy, S. Barriers to GPs identifying patients at the end-of-life and discussions about their care: a qualitative study, 14 Jan 2019, Family practice.
- Chamberlain C, Sullivan R. Weighing false hope in population anticancer drug decision making. Ann Oncol. 2019;30(1):10-1
- Huxtable R, Clinic, Courtroom or (Specialist) Committee: In the Best Interests of the Critically Ill Child? Journal of Medical Ethics 2018; 44; 471-475
- Brighton, L., Selman, L., Bristowe, K., Edwards, B., Koffman, J. & Evans, C. Emotional labour in palliative and end-of-life care communication: a qualitative study with generalist palliative care providers, 17 Oct 2018, Patient Education and Counseling.
- McDermott, E. & Selman, L. E. Cultural Factors Influencing Advance Care Planning in Progressive, Incurable Disease: A Systematic Review With Narrative Synthesis Oct 2018, Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 56, 4, p.613-636
- Wakefield, D., Bayly, J., Selman, L., Firth, A. M., Higginson, I. & Murtagh, F. Patient empowerment, what does it mean for adults in the advanced stages of a life-limiting illness: A systematic review using critical interpretive synthesis, 1 Sep 2018, Palliative Medicine. 32, 8, p.1288-1304
- Kupeli N, Candy B, Tamura-Rose G, Schofield G, Webber N, Hicks SE, Floyd T, Vivat B, Sampson EL, Stone P, Aspden T. Tools Measuring Quality of Death, Dying, and Care, Completed after Death: Systematic Review of Psychometric Properties. Patient. 2018 Aug 24. doi: 10.1007/s40271-018-0328-2
- Orlowska, D., Selman, L., Beynon, T., Radcliffe, E., Whittaker, S., Childs, F. & Harding, R. ‘It's a traumatic illness, traumatic to witness’: a qualitative study of the experiences of bereaved family caregivers of patients with cutaneous T‐cell lymphoma, 19 Jun 2018, British Journal of Dermatology.
- Lowther, K., Harding, R., Simms, V., Gikaara, N., Ahmed, A., Ali, Z., Kariuki, H., Sherr, L., Higginson, I. J. & Selman, L. Effect of participation in a randomised controlled trial of an integrated palliative care intervention on HIV-associated stigma, 17 Apr 2018, AIDS Care.
- Lowther, K., Harding, R., Simms, V., Ahmed, A., Ali, Z., Gikaara, N., Sherr, L., Kariuki, H., Higginson, I. & Selman, L. Active ingredients of a person-centred intervention for people on HIV treatment: Analysis of mixed methods trial data, 10 Jan 2018, BMC Infectious Diseases. 18, 27. doi.org/10.1186/s12879-017-2900-0
- Hudson, B., Round, J., Georgeson, B., Pring, A., Forbes, K., McCune, C. A. & Verne, J., Cirrhosis with ascites in the last year of life: a nationwide analysis of factors shaping costs, health-care use, and place of death in England. Feb 2018, Lancet Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2018; 3(2):95-103
- Hudson, B., Hunt, V., Waylen, A., McCune, C. A., Verne, J. & Forbes, K. The incompatibility of healthcare services and end-of-life needs in advanced liver disease: A qualitative interview study of patients and bereaved carers. 2 Feb 2018, In : Palliative Medicine.
- Selman, L., Brighton, L., Sinclair, S., Karvinen, I., Egan, R., Speck, P., Powell, R., Deskur-Smielecka, E., Glajchen, M., Adler, S., Puchalski, C., Hunter, J., Gikaara, N. & Hope, J. Patients’ and caregivers’ needs, experiences, preferences and research priorities in spiritual care: A focus group study across nine countries, Jan 2018, In : Journal of Palliative Medicine. 32, 1, p.216-230
- Pocock, L., Forbes, K., Reid, C., Purdy, S. Now Gosport: what next?, 16 July 2018, In : British Journal of General Practice. 68 (675): 460-461. doi.org/10.3399/bjgp18X698393
- Lewison G, Aggarwal A, Roe P, Moller H, Chamberlain C, Sullivan R. UK newspaper reporting of the NHS cancer drugs fund, 2010 to 2015: a retrospective media analysis. J R Soc Med. 2018;111(10):366-73
- Huxtable R, Cryonics in the Courtroom: Which Interests? Whose Interests? Medical Law Review 2017 doi.org/10.1093/medlaw/fwx045
- Birchley, GR, Gooberman-Hill, Z. Deans, J. Fraser, Huxtable R, ‘Best Interests’ in Paediatric Intensive Care: An Empirical Ethics Study Archives of Disease in Childhood 2017 doi: 10.1136/archdischild-2016-312076
- Huxtable R and Birchley G, Seeking Certainty? Judicial Approaches to the (Non-) Treatment of Minimally Conscious Patients Medical Law Review 2017 doi: 10.1093/medlaw/fwx014
- Pocock, L.V., Sharp DJ. Acute hospital admission of the frail older person: an opportunity to discuss future care, 24 April 2017, Age and ageing. 46 (6): 878–
- 879, doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afx052
- Brighton, L., Koffman, J., Robinson, V., Khan, S., George, R., Burman, R. & Selman, L.‘End of life could be on any ward really’: A qualitative study of hospital volunteers’ end-of-life care training needs and learning preferences, 1 Oct 2017, Palliative Medicine. 31, 9, p.842-852
- Brighton, L., Koffman, J., Hawkins, A., McDonald, C., O'Brien, S., Robinson, V., Khan, S., George, R., Higginson, I. J. & Selman, L. A Systematic Review of End-of-Life Care Communication Skills Training for Generalist Palliative Care Providers: Research Quality and Reporting Guidance, 1 Sep 2017, Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 54, 3, p.417-425
- Selman, L., Brighton, L., Hawkins, A., McDonald, C., O'Brien, S., Robinson, V., Khan, S., George, R., Ramsenthaler, C., Higginson, I. & Koffman, J. The Effect of Communication Skills Training for Generalist Palliative Care Providers on Patient-Reported Outcomes and Clinician Behaviors: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis, Sep 2017, Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 54, 3, p.404-416.e5
- Donesky, D. A., Selman, L., McDermott, K., Citron, T. & Howie-Esquivel, J. Evaluation of the feasibility of a home-based TeleYoga intervention in participants with both chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and heart failure, 27 Jun 2017, Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine.
- Selman, L. E., Brighton, L. J., Robinson, V., George, R., Khan, S. A., Burman, R. & Koffman, J.,Primary care physicians’ educational needs and learning preferences in end of life care: A focus group study in the UK, 9 Mar 2017, BMC Palliative Care. 16, 17.
- Selman, L., Daveson, B., Smith, M., Johnston, B., Ryan, K., Morrison, R. S., Pannell, C., McQuillan, R., de Wolf-Linder, S., Pantilat, S. Z., Klass, L., Meier, D. E., Normand, C. & Higginson, I. J. How empowering is hospital care for older people with advanced disease? Barriers and facilitators from a cross-national ethnography in England, Ireland and the USA, Mar 2017, Age and Ageing. 46, 2, p.300-309
- Etkind, S., Bristowe, K., Bailey, K., Selman, L. E.& Murtagh, F. How does uncertainty shape patient experience in advanced illness? A secondary analysis of qualitative data, Feb 2017, Journal of Palliative Medicine. 31, 2, p.171-180
- Aggarwal A, Fojo T, Chamberlain C, Davis C, Sullivan R. Do patient access schemes for high-cost cancer drugs deliver value to society? Lessons from the NHS Cancer Drugs Fund. Ann Oncol. 2017;28(8):1738-50.
- Hudson, B. E., Ameneshoa, K., Gopfert, A., Goddard, R., Forbes, K., Verne, J., Collins, P., Gordon, F., Portal, A. J., Reid, C. & McCune, C. A., Integration of palliative and supportive care in the management of advanced liver disease: development and evaluation of a prognostic screening tool and supportive care intervention. Jan 2017, Frontline Gastroenterology. 2017;8 (1):45-52.
- Abbott, D. W. F., Prescott, H., Forbes, K., Fraser, J. & Majumdar, A. Men with Duchenne muscular dystrophy and end of life planning. Neuromuscular Disorders 2017;27(1):38 - 44
- Hole, B., Salem J.How long do patients with chronic disease expect to live? A systematic review of the literature. BMJ Open 2016;6:e012248.doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2016-012248
- Hole, B., Tonkin-Crine S, Caskey FJ, Roderick P. Treatment of End-stage kidney failure without renal replacement therapy. August 2016, Seminars in Dialysis. 29(6);491-506. doi.org/10.1111/sdi.12535
- Pocock, L.V., Ives, A., Pring, A., Verne, J., Purdy, S. Factors associated with hospital deaths in the oldest old: a cross-sectional study. March 2016, Age and ageing. 45(3):372-6.
- Erez, G., Selman, L. E. & Murtagh, F.E.M., Measuring health-related quality of life in patients with conservatively managed stage 5 chronic kidney disease: Limitations of the Medical Outcomes Study Short Form 36 (SF-36), Nov 2016, In : Quality of Life Research. 25, 11, p.2799–2809
- Goodhead, A., Speck, P. & Selman, L. E.‘I think you just learnt as you went along’ – community clergy’s experiences of and attitudes towards caring for dying people: A pilot study, Jul 2016, Journal of Palliative Medicine. 30, 7, p.674-683
- Lowther, K. M., Harding-Swale, R., Ahmed, A., Gikaara, N., Ali, Z., Kariuki, H., Sherr, L., Simms, V. & Selman, L. E.Conducting experimental research in marginalised populations: clinical and methodological implications from a mixed-methods randomized controlled trial in Kenya, Mar 2016, In : AIDS Care. 28, 1, p.60-63
- Jones K, Birchley G, Huxtable R., Clare L, Walter T and Dixon J. End of life care: A scoping review of experiences of Advance Care Planning for people with dementia Dementia 2016 doi: 10.1177/1471301216676121
- Birchley G., Jones K, Huxtable R., Dixon J., Kitzinger J. and Clare L. Dying well with reduced agency: A scoping review and thematic synthesis of the decision-making process in dementia, traumatic brain injury and frailty.BMC Medical Ethics 2016; 17: 46 DOI: 10.1186/s12910-016-0129-x
- Huxtable R., From Twilight to Breaking Dawn? Best Interests, Autonomy, and Minimally Conscious Patients M v N  EWCOP 76 (Fam) Medical Law Review 2016 doi: 10.1093/medlaw/fww008
- Beattie J.M. and Huxtable R., Implantable cardioverter defibrillator deactivation: A precautionary approach to therapeutic equipoise? Curr Opin Support Palliat Care 2016
- Huxtable R., Principle or Process at the End of Life? AJOB Neuroscience 2016; 7(1): 69-71 DOI: 10.1080/21507740.2016.1150910
Book chapters and blogs
- Huxtable R., “Putting the Black Dog to Sleep? Depression and Assisted Dying” In J. Herring and C. Foster, Dementia: Ethical and Legal Issues (2017, Oxford: OUP), pp. 280-293
- Huxtable R., “Judgment 1: R (on the Application of Nicklinson and Another) v Ministry of Justice  UKSC 38”In S.W. Smith et al, eds., Ethical Judgments: Re-Writing Medical Law (2016, Oxford: Hart), pp. 202-207
- Huxtable R., “Judgment 2: Re A (Conjoined Twins: Surgical Separation)  Fam 147”In S.W. Smith et al, eds., Ethical Judgments: Re-Writing Medical Law (2016, Oxford: Hart), pp. 18-23
- Pocock L. Why GPs and patients need to talk more openly about death. The Conversation, May 2019
- Schofield G. “Palliative Medicine” in Sugand et al, eds., Oxford Handbook for Medical School. (2019, OUP), ch. 27.
- Schofield G. What is Global Palliative Care When it’s at Home (or in Someone’s Home?) BMJ Medical Humanities, Jan 2018
- Selman L. New research in spiritual care. ehospice, Oct 2017
- Selman L. How do we teach clinicians to talk about the end of life? CAPC, Sept 2017
- Selman L. How do we support GPs providing end of life care? CAPC, Mar 2017