SCONUL Access visitors
SCONUL Access is a reciprocal scheme which allows many university library users to borrow or use books and journals at other libraries which belong to the scheme. The scheme covers most of the university libraries in the UK and Ireland.
To qualify for SCONUL Access, you must be in good standing with your home library (i.e. have no outstanding fines or overdue books).
Reading and reference access
As a SCONUL Access visitor you can sign in by showing both your university/library ID card and a print out of your SCONUL email of authorisation, except during access restriction periods (stated above at relevant times).
Register for borrowing
- a copy of your SCONUL email of authorisation
- a completed SCONUL Access application form (Office document, 35kB)
- a scan or digital photo of the front and back of your university/library ID card
- a recent, colour, passport-style photograph of yourself as jpeg attachment
If you are unable to email, please post your application to:
Student Engagement Team (Visitor Access)
Arts and Social Sciences Library
Bristol BS8 1TJ
What happens next
- We will issue you with a University of Bristol SCONUL borrowing card within 5 working days of receiving your documents.
- We will email you when the card is ready to collect from our Information Desk in the Arts and Social Sciences Library.
- We will email you your library account details.
Additional information and restrictions
- You can borrow up to 5 items at a time.
- You will not have access to University of Bristol computers and electronic resources.
- Free WiFi is available:
- We have access restrictions during our revision and assessment periods in January and April/May. Please check the top of this page, exact dates will be displayed at relevant times.
Using other university libraries
University of Bristol staff and students can access the libraries of over 170 UK and Ireland universities. Register online for SCONUL Access.