Covid-19 Restrictions to SCONUL Access at the University of Bristol Library
There will be no access to the library for SCONUL Access users from Wednesday 18 March 2020 until further notice.
SCONUL Access users will not be able to sign in or register, regardless of their SCONUL Access band. Note that SCONUL Access users who already have a UoB library card will not be affected.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused but hope you appreciate that restrictions must be put in place at this difficult time.
SCONUL Access visitors
What is SCONUL Access
SCONUL Access is a reciprocal scheme which allows many university library users to borrow or use books and journals at other libraries which belong to the scheme. The scheme covers most of the university libraries in the UK and Ireland.
To qualify for SCONUL Access, you must be in good standing with your home library (i.e. have no outstanding fines or overdue books).
SCONUL Access for visitors to the University of Bristol Library
Only the Arts & Social Sciences Library and the Wills Memorial Library are open to visitors (see Additional information below). This is due to overriding security and safety considerations across the University estate and has been agreed with the SCONUL Access body.
Reading and reference access
As a SCONUL Access visitor you can sign in by showing both your university/library ID card and a print out of your SCONUL email of authorisation, except during access restriction periods (stated above at relevant times).
Register for borrowing
- a copy of your SCONUL email of authorisation
- a completed SCONUL Access Application Form 2019 (Office document, 21kB)
- a scan or digital photo of the front and back of your university/library ID card
- a recent, colour, passport-style photograph of yourself as jpeg attachment
What happens next
- We will issue you with a University of Bristol SCONUL borrowing card within 5 working days of receiving all necessary documents.
- We will email you when the card is ready to collect from our Information Desk in the Arts and Social Sciences Library.
- We will email you your library account details.
- Important: You can borrow or reserve books from the Arts & Social Sciences library and the Wills Memorial library. Any print items from our other libraries (whether available or out on loan) must be requested via our Book Retrieval Service
Additional information and restrictions
- You have access to the Arts & Social Sciences Library during staffed hours (8am to 8pm) and the Wills Memorial Library (please report to the Estates Assistants' office in the entrance).
- You can borrow up to 5 items at a time from any of our libraries: directly from the Arts & Social Sciences or Wills Memorial Library, or via the Book Retrieval Service.
- You will not have access to University of Bristol computers and electronic resources.
- Free WiFi is available:
- We have access restrictions during our revision and assessment periods in January and April/May. Please check the top of this page, exact dates will be displayed at relevant times.
Using other university libraries
University of Bristol staff and students can access the libraries of over 200 UK and Ireland universities. Register online for SCONUL Access.