Statement on Race Equality
Fully endorsed by our University Executive Board, our Institutional Statement on Race Equality sets out the key areas of focus for our evolving race equality strategy, establishing our direction of travel for the coming years.
University of Bristol: Statement on Race Equality
This Statement is a call to action for all members of our university community to help us ensure that there is no place for racism at the University of Bristol.
We acknowledge the structural, systemic and everyday racism that exists in our wider society, and that the higher education sector is not immune from this problem. Together we remain determined to tackle racial discrimination in all its forms to ensure that our university experience is positive and welcoming for everyone of all ethnic and racial backgrounds. We expect all members of our University community - students, staff, visitors, and stakeholders – to support us in this endeavour.
The University of Bristol – working in partnership with Bristol SU - publicly commits to intensify our efforts to:
- Improve the representation, progression, experience and success of our minority ethnic staff and students
- Eliminate the difference in degree attainment (1st and 2:1) between our
Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) and White students
- Critically evaluate our policies and practices to remove any potential for racial inequality and racial bias
- Provide increased transparency about how we tackle racial harassment – building increased trust and confidence in reporting mechanisms and demonstrating a willingness to listen and act
- Continually challenge ourselves to create a level playing field for everyone in our University community regardless of race, ethnicity or cultural background.
- Work in partnership with stakeholders across our city to tackle racial discrimination and support culturally diverse communities within the university and wider city region.
Our institution and the higher education sector as a whole, with its critical role in education and shaping social policy, must be at the forefront of the continuing struggle against prejudice and inequity based on race.
Each of us has a responsibility to ensure that the University experience is positive and welcoming for everyone: we will stand up to racism wherever it occurs and expect all members of our University community to do the same.
20 March 2020
To find out more about our activities to support our institutional commitment to race equality please see our Supporting Actions page and Student Inclusion Page.