Each faculty at the University of Bristol is led by a faculty dean.
Deans are appointed from each faculty's academic body for a term of five years by an appointment panel chaired by our Vice-Chancellor.
|Arts||Professor Michael Basker|
|Engineering||Professor Andrew Nix|
|Biomedical Sciences||Professor George Banting|
|Health Sciences||Professor Jonathan Sandy|
|Science||Professor Tim Gallagher|
|Social Sciences and Law||Professor Paddy Ireland|
Functions and responsibilities
- To oversee and guide the planning process within the Faculty and its integration within the overall University Plan
- To determine priorities for expenditure within the Faculty and to assist the Vice-Chancellor in the creation of departmental budgets
- To maintain and enhance academic standards within the Faculty
- To take a leading role in the formulation of University academic strategy
- To manage, encourage and guide heads of department within the Faculty
- To be the budget-holder for the Faculty