Recent events and updates on the impact of School of Education research.
- PGCE music students involved in The Primary Cluster Orchestra Day 18 June 2019 Congratulations to Dr Marina Gall for another highly successful Primary Cluster Orchestra Day - an event that Marina and the School's PGCE music students have a key role in making happen.
- School of Education academics create positive action through research and collaboration at 'Bristol Forum 2019' 2 April 2019 Helen Manchester and Katherine Dunleavy from the School of Education were members of the planning team for the Bristol Forum alongside another colleague from the University of Bristol (Ges Rosenberg, engineering) and colleagues from the Mayor’s office and the University of the West of England.
- Ways to improve higher education access and support for disadvantaged pupils proposed by Prof Sally Thomas 15 March 2019 On 12 March 2019, Prof Sally Thomas presented the findings of the “Value Added in Higher Education” project at the Office for Students National Conference on Learning Gain held in Birmingham.
- School of Education & Bristol Poverty Institute co-host an international workshop on Educational Inequality, Poverty and Development 7 March 2019
- New research shows league tables ‘punish and reward wrong schools’ 24 January 2019 Secondary school league tables, published today [24 January], ‘punish and reward the wrong schools’ by failing to take pupil background into account, according to new research from the School of Education, University of Bristol.
- Jessie Abrahams to present ‘Option Blocks that Block Options: Exploring inequalities in GCSE and A Level options in England’ for Office for Students 19 November 2018 On Wednesday 21st November 2018, the School of Education’s Dr Jessie Abrahams will be presenting a ‘Learning Lunch’ seminar for Office for Students (Fair Access and Participation directorate).
- Tackling Bristol’s ‘educational inequality crisis’ 8 October 2018 New research from the School of Education has confirmed that there is a shocking divide in educational opportunities for young people in Bristol depending on where they live in the city.
- SOE to co-host 'Reversing the educational inequality crisis in Bristol' event 30 August 2018 On October 9th colleagues from the School of Education are organising an evening event in City Hall (5.30 – 8.00 p.m.) to explicitly address the Bristol Learning City’s aim of increasing the participation rate in Higher Education of young people in targeted wards of the city.
- SOE’s Dr Helen Manchester talks about the Isolation and Loneliness of Older People project at Westminster 17 July 2018 Amid the turmoil of resignations and Brexit rows in Westminster on 9th July 2018, there was also an exciting event taking positive steps towards addressing the issues of social isolation and loneliness.
- Professor Sally Thomas visits Vietnam for the Improving Teacher Development and Educational Quality in China (ITDEQC) ESRC IAA impact project 5 April 2018 On 22 March, Prof Sally Thomas gave the keynote lecture at the “Continuing Professional Development for teachers and school leaders – UK and international practice” conference, organised and hosted by the National Academy for Education Management (NAEM) and Vietnamese Ministry of Education and Training (MOET).
- Paul Howard-Jones to host seminar at Bristol Neuroscience Festival 22 March 2018 The Bristol Neuroscience Festival is back! From the 22nd – 24th March 2018 in the Will’s Memorial building, the festival will celebrate neuroscience through interactive exhibitions talks, experiments and hands on activities for all ages.
- Dr Alf Coles discusses ways of learning and working with video on 'Inside Education' 8 February 2018 On the 7th February 2018, the School of Education’s Dr Alf Coles featured on 'Inside Education', a weekly radio programme on Dublin City Radio. The programme was titled ‘Teachers Learning from Video and the work of Caleb Gattegno’.
- SOE academics visit China mainland and Taiwan for the Improving Teacher Development and Educational Quality in China (ITDEQC) ESRC IAA impact project 26 January 2018 Professor Sally Thomas, Dr. Lei Zhang and PhD student Dini Jiang visited China mainland and Taiwan in November 2017 to launch the East Asian Professional Learning Community (PLC) policy brief and the East Asian PLC toolkit.