Tips and tools for PGRs during COVID-19
The Bristol Doctoral College is offering a range of advice and tools to PGR students to help them adapt to the current situation and new ways of working while social distancing measures are in place.
University guidance on COVID-19
Please visit the University's Coronavirus webpages for updates on the latest policies and information, including specific advice for PGRs on supervision, assessment, funding, undertaking research and impact on paid roles.
Working from home and enhancing your skills during COVID-19
The Bristol Doctoral College aims to support PGR students during this time through online training and practical tools:
- Tips on working from home (video series)
- Top tips on preparing for a videolink viva (blog post)
- Tips on successful remote supervision for PGRs and their supervisors
Running your own online webinar or writers' retreat
As well as running online training, we are supporting student-led seminars and retreats:
- Seven steps for planning a successful online seminar (blog post)
- Guidance on running an online writers retreat (PDF, 107kB)
- Choosing a virtual event platform (PDF, 119kB)
- Editable online writers retreat - draft programme (Office document, 17kB)
Online personal and professional development training
- All of the BDC’s personal and professional development (PPD) sessions are now being delivered online – view available training.
- The university also offers PPD opportunities for PGRs that can be accessed as online resources – view available training.
- You can also visit our Sharepoint site for a range of video and audio PPD materials that can be accessed in your own time.
Virtual social and community events
With the PGR Hub unfortunately closed until at least January 2021, the Bristol Doctoral College is running a host of virtual social events and activities for PGRs. The best way to find out about these events is to read our BDC Bulletin (sent to all current PGR students). You can also follow us on Twitter or Instagram or visit our Facebook PGR online events group for details of upcoming events.
Find out more about our community events on our Sharepoint site, including
- BDC virtual quiz cafe
- Virtual pub quizzes
- Film screenings
- Three Minute Thesis Competition - watch our 3MT finals and semi-final online
- Virtual PGR Book Club and Film Clubs