Fee and expense claims

Non-University staff must follow the instructions below on submitting expenses and fee claims as individuals.

University of Bristol employees and those on hourly paid teaching contracts can find information about making a claim on the staff intranet.

Fee claims made by non-staff members

Casual contracts and ad-hoc claims

Individuals engaged by the University of Bristol to carry out casual or ad-hoc work will either be processed through the Temporary Staffing Service (TSS) Casual, Academic & Guest (CAG) team, or through a payment request form (paid by Accounts Payable) depending on the circumstances of their engagement.

Self-employed individuals need to follow the process outlined below for ‘Claiming fees by self-employed individuals and intermediaries’. 

Access the full, detailed guidance on the engagement and payment of individuals on the Finance intranet.

Where individuals work more than 3 sessions per academic term (or more than 9 sessions per academic year), the full TSS employee registration process is required including Right to Work checks completed and documented prior to the individual starting work. More information on employment via TSS CAG can be found on the TSS website: www.bristol.ac.uk/temporary-staffing. There are a number of ‘How to’ guides available on the TSS website for claimants.

If the individual is lecturer or a trainer, engaged by the University for no more than 3 times a term, or 9 times per academic year, their engaging manager can fill out a de minimis payment request form. If the individual is a provider of overseas services, or a research participant where payment through vouchers is not suitable, the engaging manager can fill out an exempt treatment payment request form.

Claiming fees by self-employed individuals and intermediaries

From 9th March 2018, individuals who are self-employed or working via an intermediary should follow the following process when claiming payment of fees from the University of Bristol: Check employment status for tax. Please contact finance-vat@bristol.ac.uk if you have any questions.

Once your employment status has been confirmed, you will be given a unique Tax Reference Number. Your engaging manager will need to make arrangements to have a Purchase Order raised for the length of your agreed assignment, quoting your Tax Reference Number. Payment can then be claimed by submitting an invoice/s to the University of Bristol. If any of the tax circumstances change, the claimant must notify us by emailing: finance-vat@bristol.ac.uk.

Self-employed individuals can continue to submit fee claims during the transitional period, for work completed up until 31st May 2018. Completed fee claim forms should be submitted to your recruiting manager / main University contact, so that a Budget Code can be added and authorisation given. Authorised forms should be submitted to the relevant Finance team.

External Examiner fee and expense claims

External examiners engaged by the University of Bristol can claim payment of fees/expenses by completing an External Examiners Fee Claim Form (PDF, 215kB). Forms should be completed and returned to your contact within the engaging School.

Expense claims made by non-staff members

Expense claims can be paid by bank transfer or cheque via a non-staff expense claim form. Completed forms, together with scans of receipts, must be emailed to the engaging department or budget holder for a budget code to be added. Further details on where to send the claim are available on the form itself.

Responsibilities of the claimant:

  • Must ensure they are aware of, and comply with, the Travel and Subsistence policy and associated procedures; 
  • Are responsible for the correctness and completeness of the claim they submit; 
  • Claims should be submitted at the earliest opportunity and no later than 8 weeks after the expense has been incurred;
  • Are responsible for ensuring their travel arrangements are appropriate to business needs; 
  • Should ensure the costs are actually and necessarily incurred on University business; 
  • Should ensure that they do not incur any unreasonable expenses or if so, be prepared to justify such to the Head of School/Division and/or Finance Services; 
  • Should ensure they use the correct rates when making a claim and each claim is supported by receipts; 
  • Should ensure they use the ‘greenest’, most economic and efficient means of transport in the given circumstances.

Please refer to the Travel and Expenses Policy (PDF, 351kB) for details of what items of expenditure can be reimbursed and relevant rates.

Supplementary to the policy is a set of Travel and Expenses Policy: Frequently asked questions (PDF, 256kB).


If your claim has not been authorised please contact the faculty/business unit for queries.

Expense claims

If your claim has been authorised, please contact Accounts Payable.

Fee claims

If your claim has been authorised, please contact Payroll.

Edit this page