Why study with us?
Imagine structures that can morph their shape or have self-repair functionality embedded within their materials. Smart biomaterials that can be designed to adapt their chemical and mechanical properties in response to changes in physiological parameters. A sustainable, waste free world. This could be your future, achieved through the application of high performance advanced composites. By joining the Centre for Doctoral Training in Composites Science, Engineering and Manufacturing (CoSEM CDT) you will undertake cohort-driven training and cutting-edge research making these technological visions a reality.
What you’ll be doing
You will participate in a four-year, fully-funded programme. The rewarding first year includes a stimulating series of seminars and lectures, a unique Group Project to design, build, and test a composite structure and an individual three-month research project. This experience will enable you to broaden and deepen your engineering and scientific skills and explore research areas that interest you most, influencing your choice of PhD project towards the end of your first year.
The Centre covers a wide range of composites research and technical challenges you might explore, which include:
- computational structural mechanics and the development of novel numerical methods for the study of the mechanical performance of composite structures, supported by data-rich experimentation.
- advanced composites for extreme engineering environments and new and exciting multifunctional smart materials inspired by nature.
- novel and innovative manufacturing approaches, to deliver improvements in cost, quality, sustainability, and functionality across a range of industries.
What you’ll get out of it
The CoSEM CDT has exceptional industrial links, with many of the three-month and PhD projects offered by industrial partners, giving you valuable experience of working with technical industry experts and through international placements.
You will work in a collaborative and stimulating environment, strengthened by a series of cohort-driven activities, where knowledge-sharing and joint problem solving is the norm. The interdisciplinary nature of the Centre will make you think about problems from a whole new perspective and explore really innovative ideas.
On completion of the programme you will leave with far more than just a PhD; you will have the skills, knowledge and acumen to become the future technical leaders in advanced composites, be it in academia or industry.
Benefits of a CoSEM CDT PhD
- Four year programme, allowing you time to build knowledge and ignite your curiosity
- First year taught component covering technical skills and knowledge, giving you breadth and depth of expertise
- Wide choice of cutting-edge PhD projects spanning lengthscales from nanomaterials to wind turbine blade design
- Working in an interdisciplinary environment
- Cohort-based training approach, which encourages knowledge sharing and joint problem solving
- Excellent access to world leading experts
- Industrial engagement, providing you with the opportunity to learn about real-world challenges and how industry tackles them
- Access to state-of-the-art equipment and facilities
- Transferable skills enhancement and professional development