Why study with us?
Imagine shape-changing aircraft, cars or wind-turbines which have thermal management, sensing, actuating and self-repair functionality embedded within their materials and structures. In ten years’ time, this could be possible through the application of high performance advanced composites. By joining the Centre for Doctoral Training in Composites Science, Engineering and Manufacturing (CoSEM CDT) you will undertake cohort-driven training and cutting-edge research which could make these technological visions a reality.
What you’ll be doing
You will participate in a four-year, fully-funded programme. The first year includes seminars and lectures, a unique hands-on group project to design, build and test a composite structure and an individual three-month research project. This experience will enable you to broaden and deepen your core engineering skills and explore those research areas that interest you most. Towards the end of your first year you will choose your PhD project.
The CDT covers a wide range of composites research. Technical challenges you might explore include:
- developing novel solutions to enhance composite performance
- increasing composite functionality; and
- developing the design methodology and innovative application of 'next generation composite materials and their structures'.
What you’ll get out of it
The CDT has exceptional industrial links, with industrial partners proposing many of the three-month and PhD projects. You will have opportunities to gain valuable experience by working with technical industry experts and through international placements.
You will be working in a collaborative and stimulating environment where knowledge-sharing and joint problem solving is the norm. The interdisciplinary nature of the CDT will make you think about problems from a whole new perspective and explore really innovative ideas.
On completion of the programme you will leave with far more than just a PhD; you will have the skills, knowledge and acumen to become the future technical leaders in advanced composites, be it in academia or industry.
Benefits of a CoSEM CDT PhD
- Four year programme, allowing you time to build knowledge and ignite your curiosity
- First year taught component covering technical skills and knowledge, giving you breadth and depth of expertise
- Wide choice of cutting-edge PhD projects spanning lengthscales from nanomaterials to wind turbine blade design
- Working in an interdisciplinary environment
- Cohort-based training approach, which encourages knowledge sharing and joint problem solving
- Excellent access to world leading experts
- Industrial engagement, providing you with the opportunity to learn about real-world challenges and how industry tackles them
- Access to state-of-the-art equipment and facilities
- Transferable skills enhancement and professional development