Why Choose Compass?
Vibrant Student Community
Cohort and community are at the heart of our programme. Using the specially designed facilities within the Fry Building, students have access to individual desk space. Crucially this is within shared CDT offices to maximise opportunities for collaboration and shared activities.
Students participate in numerous events during the year: visiting speaker events, industry talks and student led seminars. The CDT also organises an annual away day for a chance to further build cohort connections (and have a bit of fun).
Compass students have access to our team of PhD supervisors: incorporating world-leading statisticians and data scientists, and experts from the Faculties of Health Sciences, Engineering, Social Sciences and Law and Life Sciences.
Students have a wide variety of PhD projects across a number of disciplines as demonstrated in our lists of current students projects:
Our students are also encouraged to explore other areas of data science. Our Student Perspectives blog page illustrates other avenues of data science that have been researched by our cohorts.
In Demand Skills
There is industry demand for PhD graduates with advanced skills in statistics and data science.
Compass will provide you with the skills and experience to further a career in data science:
- Bespoke training units integrating statistical and computational methods for data analysis;
- A strong cohort-driven centre within the world-class School of Mathematics;
- A radical enhancement of traditional teaching. Fostering essential research skills, active learning and independence;
- Training in cutting-edge statistical and data science; providing an exposure to science "in action" via collaborative training with a range of partners;
- Opportunities for stimulating PhD research: reflecting Bristol's strengths across the spectrum of interdisciplinary and industrial collaboration.
Interested in a PhD in Data Science? Find out in this video from Dr Daniel Lawson, Compass CDT Co-Director, how data science research helped in the fight against COVID-19. What will make society better prepared in the future?
The Postgraduate in Artificial Intelligence Link (PAI-Link) brings together PhD students in Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence and Data Science across the country. Discover more here.