About the Institute
The Elizabeth Blackwell Institute for Health Research is co-funded by the Wellcome Trust and the University of Bristol. The Elizabeth Blackwell Institute nurtures research across disciplines to improve health.
The Elizabeth Blackwell Institute brings together researchers from diverse fields. Collaboration and partnership delivers research with real impact on health and healthcare.
Health research at Bristol
The University of Bristol has one of the UK’s leading medical schools, with an outstanding community of researchers in health and medicine. The Elizabeth Blackwell Institute supports approaches ranging from the basic sciences that underpin our understanding of health and disease, to the clinical, social and population sciences. We also support exciting new developments in health research, including in electrical engineering, photonics, robotics, composite materials, nanoscience, and synthetic chemistry. Our particular focus is translation of knowledge into better health outcomes.
Achieving our mission
The Elizabeth Blackwell Institute achieves its mission in the following ways:
- Identifying and enabling the necessary interactions and providing funding to support interdisciplinary workshops and pilot projects.
- Identifying and nurturing the next generation of talented clinical and non-clinical health researchers from inside and outside Bristol and supporting our research community with prestigious Elizabeth Blackwell Fellowships.
- Ensuring our research is continually grounded by real clinical, social and public health needs, working with Bristol Health Partners, industry and other partners to deliver adoptable solutions.
- Establishing an open and lively dialogue with patients and the public, and involving them in the future of our health research.
- Providing expertise in developing partnerships, as well as access to information, potential collaborators, and research resources.
If you would like to know more about the Elizabeth Blackwell Institute please contact us
With support from the Elizabeth Blackwell Institute, SPHERE is developing technologies to help people live at home independently.
Find out more about the launch of the Elizabeth Blackwell Institute and see some photos of the event.
See the current funding opportunities available from the Elizabeth Blackwell Institute.