We accept a variety of BTEC Level 3 National qualifications for entry to our undergraduate courses.
Most BTEC qualifications awarded from 2022 will be Regulated Qualification Framework (RQF) awards rather than the pre-reformed Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF) awards.
The typical offer information given on our course finder is presented in RQF format but please see the section below or contact us if you have a QCF BTEC as we may still be able to consider it.
Our course finder presents the BTEC offer as BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma as this is the equivalent to three A-levels. We may ask for Distinctions in particular units, and we may ask for an additional A-level or completion of an admissions test to satisfy a particular subject requirement. Please see below for BTEC/A-level combinations.
Applied Generals and Tech Levels
The RQF BTEC awards are categorised into Applied General, and Tech Level awards.
Where we have a course with no specified A-level subject requirements we can accept any Applied General BTEC title as follows.
BTEC Level 3 National (RQF) Extended Diploma in:
- Applied Law 601/9043/7
- Applied Science 601/7437/7
- Arts and Design 601/7229/0
- Business 601/7160/1
- Computing 601/7342/7
- Creative Digital Media Production 601/7469/9
- Enterprise and Entrepreneurship 603/0303/7
- Forensic and Criminal Investigation 603/0247/1
- Health and Social Care 601/7198/4
- Information Technology 603/0454/6
- Performing Arts 601/7234/4
- Sport 603/0459/5
- Sport and Exercise Science 601/7422/5
We can accept certain Tech Level subjects for particular courses and these will be specified on the relevant course web page.
BTEC Level 3 National (RQF) Extended Diploma in:
- Engineering 601/7588/6
- Extended Diploma in Music Technology 601/7351/8
BTEC and A-level combinations
We accept a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate as equivalent to one A-level and the BTEC Level 3 National Diploma as equivalent to two A-levels. Additional A-levels (or equivalent academic qualifications) will be required alongside these and to meet any subject requirements.
We accept the following combinations with BTEC National Diploma or BTEC Extended Certificate:
- BTEC National Diploma must be accompanied by one A-level (or equivalent academic qualification).
- BTEC Extended Certificates must be accompanied by at least one A-level (or equivalent academic qualification) for a total of three graded level 3 awards.
Where we stipulate that a BTEC must be accompanied by an A-level or equivalent qualification, we do not accept additional vocational qualifications.
Academic qualifications we accept to accompany a Level 3 BTEC National Extended Certificate or BTEC Level 3 National Diploma are: A-levels, International Baccalaureate certificates, Scottish Advanced Highers, and Cambridge Pre-U. We cannot accept the Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Skills Challenge as an accompanying qualification in this instance.
We cannot consider more than two BTEC National Extended Certificates as part of an applicant’s academic profile and these should be accompanied by one academic qualification.
QCF BTEC qualifications
While we understand the majority of applicants will be taking BTEC National qualifications under the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF), we acknowledge there will still be those taking or having taken the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF) BTECs (prior to 2015). We will consider these on a case-by-case basis.
There are a limited number of QCF BTEC qualifications that we cannot accept for any course, and we cannot accept any Specialist or Professional QCF BTEC awards.
We also cannot accept any BTEC qualifications of any size in the following subjects from any series: Fish Management; Equine Management; Agriculture and Countryside Management; Horticulture; Blacksmithing and Metalworking.
RQF BTEC awards we do not accept
We do not accept the following RQF award BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diplomas as standalone qualifications for any of our courses but may accept them in combination with other academic qualifications:
- Animal Management (RQF); Extended Diploma in Forestry and Arboriculture
- Music & Extended Diploma in Music (Production)
- Performing Arts Practice; Production Arts Practice
- Sport and Outdoor Activities
- Sport, Fitness and Personal Training
- Sporting Excellence and Performance
- Sports Coaching and Development
- Travel and Tourism
- Uniformed Protective Services
Some of our courses have specific criteria that must be met in a particular academic subject to ensure students thrive on the course. Where this can be met with modules in the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma these will be listed in the prospectus or detailed in the lists below.
For some courses we require an additional A-level or offer an additional admissions test as an alternative way to meet a subject requirement. This will be detailed on the prospectus course page.
Where we require an A-level in addition to a BTEC, we accept either a BTEC Level 3 National Diploma or a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma.
Where we require two A-levels in addition to a BTEC, we accept a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate, a BTEC Level 3 National Diploma or a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma.
For some of our undergraduate courses we have subject-specific requirements that must be met with particular units in the Applied Science or Engineering BTEC. When applying for a course with a specific subject requirement, you will need to upload information to your application dashboard detailing which units you will be taking upon submitting your UCAS application.
The units we require are listed as follows:
To meet our biology requirement applicants need to take six of the following optional units in the Applied Science BTEC:
- 8. Physiology of Human Regulation and Reproduction (Internal)
- 9. Human Regulation and Reproduction (internal)
- 10. Biological Molecules and Metabolic Pathways (Internal)
- 11. Genetics and Genetic Engineering (Internal)
- 12. Diseases and Infections (Internal)
- 17. Microbiology and Microbiological Techniques (Internal)
- 20. Biomedical Sciences (Internal)
To meet our chemistry requirement applicants need to take the following optional units in the Applied Science BTEC:
- 13. Applications of Inorganic Chemistry
- 14. Applications of Organic Chemistry
- 18. Industrial Chemical Reactions
- 19. Practical Chemical Analysis
- 22. Materials Science
- 24. Cryogenics and Vacuum Technology
To meet our physics requirement applicants need to take six of the following units in the Engineering BTEC:
- 12: Pneumatic and Hydraulic Systems
- 15: Electrical Machines
- 16: Three Phase Electrical Systems
- 17: Power and Energy Electronics
- 18: Electrical Power Distribution and Transmission
- 19. Electronic Devices and Circuits
- 20. Analogue Electronic Circuits
- 21. Electronic Measurement and Testing of Circuits
- 28. Dynamic Mechanical Principles in Practice
- 29. Principles and Applications of Fluid Mechanics
- 31. Thermodynamic Principles and Practice